Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there a way to use automated NiFi SSL feature with company signed certificates?

Rising Star

The automated SSL setup (either with Ambari or the tls-toolkit) is awesome, however I can only get it to work with self-signed certs. Is there anyway to get it to work with a company (or external) CA?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Mentor
@Sebastian Carroll

The intent of the automated SSL setup is to help users who do not have an external CA quickly build and deploy (in the case of Ambari) a valid keystore and truststore to their NiFi instance(s).

Ambari simply uses the tls-toolkit as well but with some pre-defined parameters to automated the creation of the keystores and truststore for your Ambari deployed NiFi cluster. It is really not recommended to use the NiFi CA in Ambari in a production environment. Users encouraged to use a legitimate CA to sign certificates in a production.

The reason for this is because their is no inherent trust of any certs signed by the NiFi CA and every install of a HDF NiFi cluster will have its own CA. So using being able to use things like NiFi's S2S protocol between systems deployed using different NiFi CA adds a lot of additional work/overhead since you must constantly update the CAs in every systems truststore.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking for a way to tell Ambari to generate certificates and pass them to an external company CA to get them signed? Since Ambari has no control over an external CA and the credentials needed to sign certificate requests should be highly protected, I don't see a way to securely automate this entire process. The best that could be done is to Automate the creation of the self-signed certificate and certificate signing request. The user would still need to send that request to their company CA to be signed and the import the signed response once received back in to your keystore. Users would also still need to manually obtain the public key for their company CA in order to create or add it to a truststore.

The problem with having Ambari auto-generate a certificate is that many companies have specific requirements for what specifically must be defined in servers certificate. Having Ambari provide all possible options sounds like overkill.

I don't see why you could not use the NiFi tls-toolkit to generate a certificate that you could then get signed by your own CA. Again, I don't really see how NiFi could automate beyond creating the cert and signing request.

If I am missing something here, please let me know.

In Ambari based installs you do not need to use the NiFi CA to create certificates. Simply make sure the NiFi certificate authority is not installed. Then in the NiFi configs within NiFi, configure the SSL settings to point at the PKCS12 or JKS keystore and truststore you manually obtained via your company.

The configs by default in Ambari expect that every node is using a keystore named the same (content of keystore shoudl be unique on each node)and that the keystores all use the same password.

Thank you,

Matt

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Super Mentor
@Sebastian Carroll

The intent of the automated SSL setup is to help users who do not have an external CA quickly build and deploy (in the case of Ambari) a valid keystore and truststore to their NiFi instance(s).

Ambari simply uses the tls-toolkit as well but with some pre-defined parameters to automated the creation of the keystores and truststore for your Ambari deployed NiFi cluster. It is really not recommended to use the NiFi CA in Ambari in a production environment. Users encouraged to use a legitimate CA to sign certificates in a production.

The reason for this is because their is no inherent trust of any certs signed by the NiFi CA and every install of a HDF NiFi cluster will have its own CA. So using being able to use things like NiFi's S2S protocol between systems deployed using different NiFi CA adds a lot of additional work/overhead since you must constantly update the CAs in every systems truststore.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are asking for a way to tell Ambari to generate certificates and pass them to an external company CA to get them signed? Since Ambari has no control over an external CA and the credentials needed to sign certificate requests should be highly protected, I don't see a way to securely automate this entire process. The best that could be done is to Automate the creation of the self-signed certificate and certificate signing request. The user would still need to send that request to their company CA to be signed and the import the signed response once received back in to your keystore. Users would also still need to manually obtain the public key for their company CA in order to create or add it to a truststore.

The problem with having Ambari auto-generate a certificate is that many companies have specific requirements for what specifically must be defined in servers certificate. Having Ambari provide all possible options sounds like overkill.

I don't see why you could not use the NiFi tls-toolkit to generate a certificate that you could then get signed by your own CA. Again, I don't really see how NiFi could automate beyond creating the cert and signing request.

If I am missing something here, please let me know.

In Ambari based installs you do not need to use the NiFi CA to create certificates. Simply make sure the NiFi certificate authority is not installed. Then in the NiFi configs within NiFi, configure the SSL settings to point at the PKCS12 or JKS keystore and truststore you manually obtained via your company.

The configs by default in Ambari expect that every node is using a keystore named the same (content of keystore shoudl be unique on each node)and that the keystores all use the same password.

Thank you,

Matt