Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Is there any problem if I just add Gateway role to every nodes?

Contributor

I have a cluster of 15 nodes and I'm a bit headache when try to assign nodes. I'm following this Role distribution instruction on Cloudera.

But I wonder can I just add a Gateway role to every node for some services? Even if it's name node, master node or whatever?

I just want to make sure that everyone can access services on every node in the cluster. I always wonder something like "this is a hive name node, do I need to add Gateway role?, oh that is a hbase master node, do I need to add Gateway role?,....". Now I don't want to think too much.

Is there any performance issue, or incompatibility issue if I add Gateway role to every node for every service just for the sake on simplicity?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@quangbilly79 NO, you should not be adding gateway to every node.   This gateway should only be installed on the edge/utility nodes, where you give access to external systems and users.   These gateway nodes then are able to reach rest of the service(s) nodes.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

@quangbilly79 NO, you should not be adding gateway to every node.   This gateway should only be installed on the edge/utility nodes, where you give access to external systems and users.   These gateway nodes then are able to reach rest of the service(s) nodes.