Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Kerberos ticket renewal for Hadoop services

New Contributor

I'm having issues with Kerberos tickets for Hadoop services not being renewed before they expire. E.g the ticket for Oozie, it is valid for 10h and then it takes a certain number of hours until the ticket is renewed(or recreated) again. I'm expecting there to always be a valid ticket present for the services.

The effect of this is e.g that I can't list directories in HDFS as the Oozie user(in the shell), it fails with the following error message:

GSS initiate failed [Caused by GSSException: No valid credentials provided (Mechanism level: Failed to find any Kerberos tgt)]

I can renew the ticket again manually using the keytab which makes the HDFS listing work but i feel that it shouldn't be necessary.

Strangely enough there are never any service related errors in Ambari.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru
@Jonas Bissmark

Whenever you start any service in kerberos enabled cluster, let's say Namenode service, first Ambari initiates the kerberos ticket and once service is started, it has logic to re-login and get the fresh ticket.

Comment from @Chris Nauroth from stackoverflow question on how Hadoop implements an automatic re-login mechanism directly inside the RPC client layer ( please read his awesome answer on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34616676/should-i-call-ugi-checktgtandreloginfromkeytab-before-ev... when you get a chance )

####

The code for this is visible in the RPC Client#handleSaslConnectionFailure method:

// try re-login
          if (UserGroupInformation.isLoginKeytabBased()) {
            UserGroupInformation.getLoginUser().reloginFromKeytab();
          } else if (UserGroupInformation.isLoginTicketBased()) {
            UserGroupInformation.getLoginUser().reloginFromTicketCache();
          }

This explains answer to your question - "Strangely enough there are never any service related errors in Ambari."

##

The effect of this is e.g that I can't list directories in HDFS as the Oozie user(in the shell), it fails with the following error message: --> This is expected as ticket gets expired after 24 hours.

Hope this answers your question! 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Guru
@Jonas Bissmark

Whenever you start any service in kerberos enabled cluster, let's say Namenode service, first Ambari initiates the kerberos ticket and once service is started, it has logic to re-login and get the fresh ticket.

Comment from @Chris Nauroth from stackoverflow question on how Hadoop implements an automatic re-login mechanism directly inside the RPC client layer ( please read his awesome answer on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34616676/should-i-call-ugi-checktgtandreloginfromkeytab-before-ev... when you get a chance )

####

The code for this is visible in the RPC Client#handleSaslConnectionFailure method:

// try re-login
          if (UserGroupInformation.isLoginKeytabBased()) {
            UserGroupInformation.getLoginUser().reloginFromKeytab();
          } else if (UserGroupInformation.isLoginTicketBased()) {
            UserGroupInformation.getLoginUser().reloginFromTicketCache();
          }

This explains answer to your question - "Strangely enough there are never any service related errors in Ambari."

##

The effect of this is e.g that I can't list directories in HDFS as the Oozie user(in the shell), it fails with the following error message: --> This is expected as ticket gets expired after 24 hours.

Hope this answers your question! 🙂

Expert Contributor

Thanks @Kuldeep Kulkarni

This has cleared some doubts about how Hadoop services auto-login even though initial user TGT shows expired.