Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Load Hive Table form Pig Output File.

Explorer

For submit Hive, Pig job in Azure HDInsight, I am using .Net SDK. After successfully output of Pig Job ,I used Pig output file to load into Hive table. Hive job executed successfully but Pig output is in BAG format , so its store data in Hive table like "(" , ")" characters. Means First and Last column of Hive table having these characters. I want to remove this characters from Hive table. Should I have to change the Pig output format or Is this anyway to remove above character from Hive Table ?

Please give solution.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

You can use flatten operator to remove bag thus removing the extra characters http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.16.0/basic.html#flatten so before you finish generating the file with Pig, call the flatten operator and then load it in aHive table

grunt> cat empty.bag
{}      1
grunt> A = LOAD 'empty.bag' AS (b : bag{}, i : int);
grunt> B = FOREACH A GENERATE flatten(b), i;
grunt> DUMP B;
grunt>

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Master Mentor

You can use flatten operator to remove bag thus removing the extra characters http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.16.0/basic.html#flatten so before you finish generating the file with Pig, call the flatten operator and then load it in aHive table

grunt> cat empty.bag
{}      1
grunt> A = LOAD 'empty.bag' AS (b : bag{}, i : int);
grunt> B = FOREACH A GENERATE flatten(b), i;
grunt> DUMP B;
grunt>

Hi @Ishvari Dhimmar

As stated by Ervits after flattening the pig output to remove bags if there are any use the file to load into a hive table.

For loading into a hive table use " load data inpath <pig out output file> into table <hive table name>".

Ensure that the format of the pig output file is compatible with hive native formats. If you do so then you will achieve what you are looking for.