Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Managing Hive Schema Changes

Explorer

We are planning to automate our hive schema changes as part of our CI/CD deployment. Currently we are using Gitlab to manage our repo and execute deployment pipeline. One of the tools we're considering is Liquibase. This blog detailed out the way to implement this https://docs.liquibase.com/install/tutorials/impala-hive.html. It explains that in order to use Liquibase with Hive, it needs an impala/hive extensions. This approach seems promising. However I'm concerned that the extension is outdated and may impose security risk in our system since the last update of it was 5 years ago (https://github.com/eselyavka/liquibase-impala).

I was wondering if anyone here have the same use case. What approach/options did you choose to implement the solution? I appreciate any comments or suggestion from this groups.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

@Ging I don't think there is much in the liquibase extension that could impose security risks. But, it's better to check with Liquibase. About Hive and Impala JDBC drivers, you could download the latest from Cloudera website, and not 2.6.4/2.6.2 as mentioned in the Liquibase blog. Very soon we are going to release newer versions that address the recent log4j vulnerabilities. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Master Collaborator

@Ging I don't think there is much in the liquibase extension that could impose security risks. But, it's better to check with Liquibase. About Hive and Impala JDBC drivers, you could download the latest from Cloudera website, and not 2.6.4/2.6.2 as mentioned in the Liquibase blog. Very soon we are going to release newer versions that address the recent log4j vulnerabilities. 

Explorer

Thank you. We contacted Liquibase. Unfortunately, they don't have a built-in extension of Hive/Impala extension. Though they promise to look into this requirement in more detail. Hopefully, they come-up with a solution soon.

Community Manager

@Ging, Has the reply helped resolve your issue? If so, please mark the appropriate reply as the solution, as it will make it easier for others to find the answer in the future. 

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community: