Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Move Hive server from one node to another in HDP cluster.

Expert Contributor

Hi Team,

What are the steps to move hive server and its metadata from one node to another node in hdp cluster?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Nilesh

See this

2493-screen-shot-2016-03-01-at-10227-pm.png

You can use ambari to move HiveServer2 and other components.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Master Mentor
@Nilesh

See this

2493-screen-shot-2016-03-01-at-10227-pm.png

You can use ambari to move HiveServer2 and other components.

Master Mentor

2494-screen-shot-2016-03-01-at-11025-pm.png

Metastore move @Nilesh

Expert Contributor

@Neeraj Sabharwal

how to do manually? In absence of Ambari

Expert Contributor

@Neeraj Sabharwal

At present, I have hdp 2.3 cluster. Hive,mysql,hue and metastore installed on namenode.

All these are available incuding mysql and hive metadata (copied from namenode) on one of the datanode from cluster for redundancy purpose of hive.

Now when namenode server goes down then how can i link new host to hive metadata which i have copied.?

How can i do this via ambari as well as without ambari?

Expert Contributor

What you are asking is Hive High Availability, you will need to set it up:

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.0/bk_hadoop-ha/content/ch_HA-Hive.html

From best practices it is a bad idea to put any master service on data (slave) node. Use another master node to place HA components like hive, resource manager etc.

Contributor

To get the metastore to use the moved MySQL database you need to change the JDBC URL in the hive-site.xml file on the machine running the metastore. The correct configuration value to change is "javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL". You will have to restart the metastore after changing this. If you are using HiveServer2 you will need to make this change on that machine as well.

To get your clients to find the new metastore instance you will have to change the thrift URI for the metastore, again in the hive-site.xml file. This will need to be done on all clients that talk to the metastore. The config value to change is "hive.metastore.uris".

Expert Contributor

@Alan Gates

This is continued from previous post: I have made required changes in hive-site.xml on datanode, but when i restarted hive service from ambari changes are not reflecting in hive-site.xml it takes previous working configuration.