Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

NiFi Consume Kafka 010 not ingesting messages but Producer and Consumer work

Explorer

Hi,

I feel like this question has been asked before in similar ways but each response has yet to yield a result that has yet to work for me. So, I have an Amazon Linux machine with Apache Kafka 0.10.0 on it and when I start zookeeper and kafka I am able to successfully produce and consume messages on that machine.

On a separate Amazon Windows server I have Apache Nifi 1.6 installed and I am using the Consume Kafka 0_10 processor to try and receive messages from the topic that was created on my standalone kafka install (Linux machine). I have tried to use the ip address of the Linux machine as the broker within the NiFi processor with port 9092 as well as the Ec2 instance name ec2-XX-X-XXX-XXX.XX-XXXX-1.compute.amazonaws.com:9092 but neither show any data coming in when I manually type in messages from the Kafka producer on the Linux machine. There are no errors produced in the logs of NiFi and I I know that port 9092 is open so I would think the messages would come through.

In the server.properties file for Kafka I have the listeners set to listeners=PLAINTEXT://:9092 (bases on some stack overflow post recommendation). In that same file I also have advertised.listeners=PLAINTEXT://XX-X-XXX-XXX.XX-XXXX-1.compute.amazonaws.com:9092.

I have also tried NiFi 1.5 and to see if this was a version issue but nothing seems to work. I would think that if Nifi is not producing errors, the proper ports are open and I can produce and consume locally to Linux machine then I would think there should be no reason the Consume Kafka 0_10 couldn't pick up the messages I type and parse them into a flow file.

Sorry for the long question but if anyone has some insight on this issue please let me know.

Thanks, Jason

13 REPLIES 13

Explorer

@Vinicius Higa Murakami - Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the post you sent and tried to access some of the steps but it seems that I don't have the zk.cli.sh file that was suggested. I am running zookeeper as part of a Kafka download and it does not have this file. We have a current project that is utilizing Kafka and I decided to try connecting from there as well but no luck either.

Jason

Hey @Jason Sphar!
Did you tried to use zookeeper-cli instead of zk-cli.sh ?

@Jason Sphar

What about the windows firewall? Try turning it off completely and see if it works then.

Explorer
@Wynner

Thanks for the suggestion, I have not tried this yet but will have to check with the server administrator to see if this is something they don't mind trying.

Jason