Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Nifi: Flowfile stuck in front of a processor group when flowfile concurrency is set to single batch per node

New Contributor

Hi Cloudera

Background: We run nifi as a standalone instance in a docker container in on all our stages, the statemanagement provider used by our instance is the local WAL backed provider.

Description: We observed that the flowfiles in front of one of our processor groups stopped to be ingested once in a while and it happens on all our stages without noticeable pattern. The flowfile concurrency policy of the processor group that stopped ingesting data is set to SINGLE_BATCH_PER_NODE and the outbound policy is set to BATCH_OUTPUT. The ingestion should continue since the processor group had already send out every flowfile in it, but it stopped. 

There is only one brutal solution from our side(We need to delete the processor group and restore it from nifi registry again) and the occurrence of this issue had impacted our data ingestion.

7a41d443-372d-4ac7-8f58-b1b303865b6c.png

image.png

As you can see in the screenshot that the processor group 'Delete before Insert' has no more flowfile to output but still it does not ingest the data queued in the input port

In the log file I found the following:

2024-06-03 11:34:01,772 TRACE [Timer-Driven Process Thread-15] o.apache.nifi.groups.StandardDataValve Will not allow data to flow into StandardProcessGroup[identifier=5eb0ad69-e8ed-3ba0-52da-af94fb9836cd,name=Delete before Insert] because Outbound Policy is Batch Output and valve is already open to allow data to flow out of group

Also in the diagnostics, I found the following for the 'Delete before Insert' processor group:

Process Group e6510a87-aa78-3268-1b11-3c310f0ad144, Name = Search and Delete existing reports(This is the parent processor group of the Delete before Insert)
Currently Have Data Flowing In: []
Currently Have Data Flowing Out: [StandardProcessGroup[identifier=5eb0ad69-e8ed-3ba0-52da-af94fb9836cd,name=Delete before Insert]]
Reason for Not allowing data to flow in:
    Data Valve is already allowing data to flow out of group:
        StandardProcessGroup[identifier=5eb0ad69-e8ed-3ba0-52da-af94fb9836cd,name=Delete before Insert]
Reason for Not allowing data to flow out:
    Output is Allowed:
        StandardProcessGroup[identifier=5eb0ad69-e8ed-3ba0-52da-af94fb9836cd,name=Delete before Insert] 

Which is clearly not correct. since there are currently not data flowing out from the 'Delete before Insert' processor group

If you have any insight regarding this issue, it would be great if you car share it with me, also I think this could possibly be a nifi internal bug so I also opened an issue in nifi's jira page Here 

Thank you for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

New Contributor

For those who's interested in this issue

The nifi dev team had relied and expect to fix this problem in 2.0.0-M4

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Community Manager

@yuanhao1999 Welcome to the Cloudera Community!

To help you get the best possible solution, I have tagged our NiFi experts @MattWho @mburgess  who may be able to assist you further.

Please keep us updated on your post, and we hope you find a satisfactory solution to your query.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Master Mentor

@yuanhao1999 
I see that you raised an Apache Jira for this same issue.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-13340
and that your issue is likely related to:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-13281

When you delete and re-create import the Process Group from NiFi-Registry, all your components will get new random UUIDs assigned to them.  That effectively eliminates the stuck condition.

Where changes being made to process group configuration while FlowFile(s) were still queued in a connection within the Process Group?

Please help our community thrive. If you found any of the suggestions/solutions provided helped you with solving your issue or answering your question, please take a moment to login and click "Accept as Solution" on one or more of them that helped.

Thank you,
Matt

New Contributor

Hey Matt!

Thanks for your reply, so do you mean that this is indeed likely a nifi's internal bug instead of some mis-configuration?

BR

Yuanhao

Master Mentor

Yes, i believe this to be a legitimate NiFi bug.

New Contributor

For those who's interested in this issue

The nifi dev team had relied and expect to fix this problem in 2.0.0-M4