Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Nifi starts without error but cannot connect

Contributor

Hi

I am very new to nifi and try to install and configure the system.

I started nifi.sh start and it shows 

Java home: /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_65.jdk/Contents/Home

NiFi home: /Users/daniel/Downloads/nifi-1.15.3

Bootstrap Config File: /Users/daniel/Downloads/nifi-1.15.3/conf/bootstrap.conf

And when i enter nifi.sh  status, terminal shows:

2022-02-26 09:31:33,238 INFO [main] org.apache.nifi.bootstrap.Command Apache NiFi is currently running, listening to Bootstrap on port 52929, PID=74313

I changed nifi.web.http.port in nifi.properties to 8080.

But still I do not see any on localhost:8080.

In the log file there is no message that server has started on 8080 port.

I have no idea what problem caused the issue.

Please advise me.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Guru

Hi @CookieCream ,

I think I have a good idea of what's going on. The bootstrap.log, which you shared in pvt, has an error message complaining about a invalid key size. When I saw that I checked again your Java version and realized that you're using a very old Java version (1.8.0_65). In this version of Java, cryptographic key sizes were limited and you could not create long keys. Because of that, NiFi fails to create the TLS keys when it starts. To enable that in your Java version, you would have to download the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength policies and copy them to your Java home manually to allow AES keys of size 256 and larger. These policies were only included by default in the JDK starting from update 1.8.0_162.

So, you have two options to make this work:

• (Recommended) Upgrade your JDK to the latest Java 1.8 or, preferrably, to Java 11 (do not use versions higher than 11 because they are not supported by NiFi)
  • Alternatively, you can download the Java Cryptography Extension (JCE) Unlimited Strength, unzip it and follow the steps in the README.TXT to install it.

Once you do one of the above, clean up the directories of your previous attempts and try again with the steps that I copied below:

wget "https://downloads.apache.org/nifi/1.15.3/nifi-1.15.3-bin.tar.gz" -P .
tar -zxvf ./nifi-1.15.3-bin.tar.gz
cd nifi-1.15.3
./bin/nifi.sh set-single-user-credentials admin supersecret1
./bin/nifi.sh start

Please let us know if it works this time 😉

Cheers,

André

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

--
Was your question answered? Please take some time to click on "Accept as Solution" below this post.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Super Guru

Hi @CookieCream 

NiFi in the latest version is deployed automatically with security and TLS enabled.

You need to set the single user credentials and connect to port 8443 instead of 8080.

Please check the documentation: https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/getting-started.html#i-started-nifi-now-what

Cheers

André

--

Contributor

Hi @araujo 

Thanks for the advice

I made the http post empty and re-launched the nifi but still have an issue.

On nifi-app.log file, I found the the following error message which I have no idea how to solve.

Please advise me.

2022-02-27 23:08:19,323 INFO [main] o.a.n.r.v.FileBasedVariableRegistry Loaded 112 properties from system properties and environment variables
2022-02-27 23:08:19,324 INFO [main] o.a.n.r.v.FileBasedVariableRegistry Loaded a total of 112 properties.  Including precedence overrides effective accessible registry key size is 112
2022-02-27 23:08:20,716 WARN [main] o.a.nifi.security.util.SslContextFactory Some truststore properties are populated (./conf/truststore.p12, ********, PKCS12) but not valid
2022-02-27 23:08:20,717 ERROR [main] o.apache.nifi.controller.FlowController Unable to start the flow controller because the TLS configuration was invalid: The truststore properties are not valid
2022-02-27 23:08:21,135 ERROR [main] o.s.web.context.ContextLoader Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.springframework.security.config.annotation.web.configuration.WebSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'setFilterChainProxySecurityConfigurer' parameter 1; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanExpressionException: Expression parsing failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.apache.nifi.web.NiFiWebApiSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'setJwtAuthenticationProvider' parameter 0; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.apache.nifi.web.security.configuration.JwtAuthenticationSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor parameter 3; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'flowController': FactoryBean threw exception on object creation; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Flow controller TLS configuration is invalid
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredMethodElement.resolveMethodArguments(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:767)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredMethodElement.inject(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:719)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.InjectionMetadata.inject(InjectionMetadata.java:119)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.postProcessProperties(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:399)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.populateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1431)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:619)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:542)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.lambda$doGetBean$0(AbstractBeanFactory.java:335)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:234)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:333)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:208)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:944)
	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:918)
	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:583)
	at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.configureAndRefreshWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:401)
	at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:292)
	at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:103)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:1067)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.callContextInitialized(ServletContextHandler.java:572)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.contextInitialized(ContextHandler.java:996)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:746)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.startContext(ServletContextHandler.java:379)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startWebapp(WebAppContext.java:1449)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1414)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:910)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletContextHandler.doStart(ServletContextHandler.java:288)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:524)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:73)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:169)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:97)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:73)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.start(ContainerLifeCycle.java:169)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.AbstractHandler.doStart(AbstractHandler.java:97)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.gzip.GzipHandler.doStart(GzipHandler.java:426)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:117)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.start(Server.java:423)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.ContainerLifeCycle.doStart(ContainerLifeCycle.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.doStart(Server.java:387)
	at org.apache.nifi.web.server.JettyServer.start(JettyServer.java:1142)
	at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.<init>(NiFi.java:170)
	at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.<init>(NiFi.java:82)
	at org.apache.nifi.NiFi.main(NiFi.java:330)
Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanExpressionException: Expression parsing failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.apache.nifi.web.NiFiWebApiSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'setJwtAuthenticationProvider' parameter 0; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.apache.nifi.web.security.configuration.JwtAuthenticationSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor parameter 3; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'flowController': FactoryBean threw exception on object creation; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Flow controller TLS configuration is invalid
	at org.springframework.context.expression.StandardBeanExpressionResolver.evaluate(StandardBeanExpressionResolver.java:170)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.evaluateBeanDefinitionString(AbstractBeanFactory.java:1631)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.doResolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:1324)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.resolveDependency(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:1300)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.annotation.AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor$AutowiredMethodElement.resolveMethodArguments(AutowiredAnnotationBeanPostProcessor.java:759)
	... 54 common frames omitted

Super Guru

@CookieCream ,

What do you mean by "made the http post empty"?

I would suggest that you remove your NiFi directory and restart from scratch following these instructions:

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/html/getting-started.html#downloading-and-installing-nifi

If you follow the exact instructions the installation should work without problems.

Cheers,

André

--

Contributor

@araujo 

I did as you advised; remove the existing NiFi directory and start from scratch as instruction states.

But as I start nifi.sh, the same error message shows on the log 😞

Super Guru

@CookieCream ,

Which Java version to you have in your machine?

Could you please run the following command and provide the output?

java -version

Cheers,

André

--

Contributor

@araujo 

java version "1.8.0_65"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

Thanks

Daeyong

Super Guru

@CookieCream ,

Try these steps below after you delete your current nifi directory:

wget "https://downloads.apache.org/nifi/1.15.3/nifi-1.15.3-bin.tar.gz" -P .
tar -zxvf ./nifi-1.15.3-bin.tar.gz
cd nifi-1.15.3
./bin/nifi.sh set-single-user-credentials admin supersecret1
./bin/nifi.sh start

I just tested this on my laptop and it works without problems.

Cheers,

André

--

Super Guru

@CookieCream 

Did the above work?

André

--

Contributor

@araujo 

I really appreciate for your help but unfortunately not working 😞

Still see the same error on nifi-app.log file.

2022-03-02 21:41:40,683 INFO [main] o.a.n.r.v.FileBasedVariableRegistry Loaded 117 properties from system properties and environment variables
2022-03-02 21:41:40,684 INFO [main] o.a.n.r.v.FileBasedVariableRegistry Loaded a total of 117 properties.  Including precedence overrides effective accessible registry key size is 117
2022-03-02 21:41:41,102 WARN [main] o.a.nifi.security.util.SslContextFactory Some truststore properties are populated (./conf/truststore.p12, null, PKCS12) but not valid
2022-03-02 21:41:41,103 ERROR [main] o.apache.nifi.controller.FlowController Unable to start the flow controller because the TLS configuration was invalid: The truststore properties are not valid
2022-03-02 21:41:41,216 ERROR [main] o.s.web.context.ContextLoader Context initialization failed
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.springframework.security.config.annotation.web.configuration.WebSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'setFilterChainProxySecurityConfigurer' parameter 1; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanExpressionException: Expression parsing failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.apache.nifi.web.NiFiWebApiSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through method 'setJwtAuthenticationProvider' parameter 0; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'org.apache.nifi.web.security.configuration.JwtAuthenticationSecurityConfiguration': Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor parameter 3; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'flowController': FactoryBean threw exception on object creation; nested exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: Flow controller TLS configuration is invalid