Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Not able to connect to AWS when Using Red Hat Enterprise Linux version

Super Collaborator

I have opted for Red Hat Enterprise Linux version(Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.3 (HVM), SSD Volume Type - ami-b63769a1).

Gave the Public dns and port number :5901 in VNC viewer, was giving timeout error

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Viswa

You can check the following:

1. Check your security group rules. You need a security group rule that allows inbound traffic from your public IPv4 address on the proper port.

2. Check the route table for the subnet. You need a route that sends all traffic destined outside the VPC to the Internet gateway for the VPC.

3. Check the network access control list (ACL) for the subnet. The network ACLs must allow inbound and outbound traffic from your local IP address on the proper port. The default network ACL allows all inbound and outbound traffic.

4. If your computer is on a corporate network, ask your network administrator whether the internal firewall allows inbound and outbound traffic from your computer on port 22 (for Linux instances) or port 3389 (for Windows instances).If you have a firewall on your computer, verify that it allows inbound and outbound traffic from your computer on port 22 (for Linux instances) or port 3389 (for Windows instances).

5. Check that your instance has a public IPv4 address.

For details on how to perform the above checks, you can check out the AWS troubleshooting guide which lists the steps for various known error messages(including the one you are getting).

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/TroubleshootingInstancesConnecting.html

In my case the problem was that I was behind a corporate firewall. So had to find my proxy server details and then update the same proxy configurations in Putty.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

@Viswa

You can check the following:

1. Check your security group rules. You need a security group rule that allows inbound traffic from your public IPv4 address on the proper port.

2. Check the route table for the subnet. You need a route that sends all traffic destined outside the VPC to the Internet gateway for the VPC.

3. Check the network access control list (ACL) for the subnet. The network ACLs must allow inbound and outbound traffic from your local IP address on the proper port. The default network ACL allows all inbound and outbound traffic.

4. If your computer is on a corporate network, ask your network administrator whether the internal firewall allows inbound and outbound traffic from your computer on port 22 (for Linux instances) or port 3389 (for Windows instances).If you have a firewall on your computer, verify that it allows inbound and outbound traffic from your computer on port 22 (for Linux instances) or port 3389 (for Windows instances).

5. Check that your instance has a public IPv4 address.

For details on how to perform the above checks, you can check out the AWS troubleshooting guide which lists the steps for various known error messages(including the one you are getting).

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/TroubleshootingInstancesConnecting.html

In my case the problem was that I was behind a corporate firewall. So had to find my proxy server details and then update the same proxy configurations in Putty.

Super Collaborator

@Dinesh Chitlangia

I have checked Security groups which allows inbound traffic and also validated that my instance has IPv4 address. As you mentioned I verify on the internal firewall if it allows inbound and outbound traffic.

Super Collaborator

tried of the steps you mentioned, looks like there is issue with firewall. Works after setting firewall proxy.