Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Permission denied: user=admin, access=WRITE, inode="/user":hdfs:hdfs:drwxr-xr-x

New Contributor

I tried to create a folder using the admin user, at the time of creating it I get the following error: Permission denied: user = admin, access = WRITE, inode = "/ user": hdfs: hdfs: drwxr-xr-x When checking the permissions in Ambari> Users> admin, it tells me that I have all the permissions activated. How can i solve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Collaborator

Hi @Karan1211,

User 'admin' does not have access to create a directory under /user. Because the /user/ directory is owned by "hdfs" with 755 permissions. As a result, only hdfs can write to that directory. So you would need to do this:

If you want to create a home directory for root so you can store files in this directory, do:

sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/admin
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -chown admin /user/admin

Then as admin you can do hdfs dfs -put file /user/admin/

NOTE: If you get below authentication error, either from your user account, you do not have enough permission to run the above command, so try with sudo or try with first sudo to hdfs user and then execute chown command as hdfs user. 

su: authentication failure

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Super Collaborator
@Angel Ajcabul

Using SH or shell-in-a-box (http://sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com:4200), issue the following commands:

su - hdfs -c "hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/newFolder"
su - hdfs -c "hdfs dfs -chown admin:hdfs /user/newFolder"

New Contributor

when I try 'chown' command, it shows: authentication failure

can you please help me through it.

Master Collaborator

Hi @Karan1211,

User 'admin' does not have access to create a directory under /user. Because the /user/ directory is owned by "hdfs" with 755 permissions. As a result, only hdfs can write to that directory. So you would need to do this:

If you want to create a home directory for root so you can store files in this directory, do:

sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -mkdir /user/admin
sudo -u hdfs hdfs dfs -chown admin /user/admin

Then as admin you can do hdfs dfs -put file /user/admin/

NOTE: If you get below authentication error, either from your user account, you do not have enough permission to run the above command, so try with sudo or try with first sudo to hdfs user and then execute chown command as hdfs user. 

su: authentication failure

I hope this helps.