Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Problem connecting to Hive ODBC driver

Explorer

I'm trying to use the HW Hive ODBC driver; I've installed the package, set up a stanza in my odbc.ini, and put

.hortonworks.hiveodbc.ini in my $HOME. When I try connecting, I get the message:

ERROR: 0: HY000 : [DataDirect][ODBC lib] Unicode converter buffer overflow

I've tried adding "DriverUnicodeType=1" (and 2) to odbc.ini, to no avail. What can I try next.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Explorer

Update: I had been using DataDirect as the ODBC Driver Manager. When I switched to unixODBC, the problem appears to have been resolved.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Master Mentor
@Mark Lavin

See this http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21580747

It may be a configuration setting at your end that needs to be changed in order to prevent the unicode converter buffer overflow

Explorer

Thanks! for your reply. Sounds reasonable, but which configuration and what setting?

Master Mentor

@Mark Lavin odbc.ini

The DataDirect ODBC driver manager looks for a property that you can add to the Data Source Name (DSN) entry for the 3rd party driver in the .odbc.ini file to indicate if the driver is using 2 or 4 bytes for unicode.
Add the following property after the "driver=" line for the failing DSN in the .odbc.ini file:
DriverUnicodeType=1 
then test the failing scenario. If the error still occurs, then change the line to:
DriverUnicodeType=2

Explorer

Yup, tried that, no luck.

@Mark Lavin

Did you place all below three files in user's home directory?

-rwxr-xr-x 1 123 data 1298 Nov 24 22:02 .hortonworks.hiveodbc.ini

-rwxr-xr-x 1 123 data711 Nov 13 21:54 .odbc.ini

-rwxr-xr-x 1 123 data 336 Nov 13 21:55 .odbcinst.ini

Explorer

Good questions. I placed .hortonworks.hiveodbc.ini in $HOME; for .odbc.ini, I actually have an odbc.ini in another directory but I set $ODCBINI to point to it; for .odbcinst.ini, I read that it was optional, so I omitted it.

Did you install

[root@abc ~]# rpm -qa | grep hive-odbc-native

hive-odbc-native-2.0.0.1000-1.x86_64

[root@abc ~]#

Explorer

No, the rpm package was named

hive-odbc-native-2.0.5.1005-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

Explorer

Update: I had been using DataDirect as the ODBC Driver Manager. When I switched to unixODBC, the problem appears to have been resolved.