Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Problem starting VirtualBox Sandbox on Microsoft Azure VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)

Contributor

I installed a Oracle VM VitualBox Version 5.0.10 for running Hortonworks Sandbox with HDP 2.3.2.

When I try to start failed to open a session for it with the following message:

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005) Component: ConsoleWrap Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Best regards,

JAG

PD:

Windows Azure Machine

Windows Server 2012 R2

Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E5-2673 v3 @ 2.40 GHz 2.39 GHz

Installed Memory 14 GB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It sounds like you are trying to start a sandbox VM on a VM you brought up in Azure? If so this may not be supported. The common way to use HDP 2.3.2 Sandbox in Azure is this: http://hortonworks.com/blog/hortonworks-sandbox-wi...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

It sounds like you are trying to start a sandbox VM on a VM you brought up in Azure? If so this may not be supported. The common way to use HDP 2.3.2 Sandbox in Azure is this: http://hortonworks.com/blog/hortonworks-sandbox-wi...

Contributor

Thank you very much Alí. Do you mean that VM on VM are not supported for Hortonworks Sanbox? Because the VM on VM works fine on azure with oracle VitualBox at least for some cloudera tutorials.

+ @rmolina / @Dhruv Kumar to comment as well.

The easiest way to get started with sandbox on Azure is to use the approach in the blog. It may be possible to achieve what you are trying but may require changing some settings. You may want to do some more research on what that error means. For example see comments here. One common source of that error is if virtualization is not enabled in machines BIOS

Expert Contributor

Hi Jose,

As others have mentioned, we recommend to use the Azure Sandbox offering in the Marketplace. Any specific reason why you want to run the sandbox VM within another VM? I have run to this issue in the past accidentally (not with HDP sandbox) and after reading posts of others trying it doesn't seem possible especially if you don't have control of the Infra. To get a final answer, I suggest reaching out to the Azure support team.

Regards,

Robert

Contributor

Thanks to all of you.

Contributor

I recommend launching the HDP 2.3 Sandbox directly on Azure as mentioned in the blog. You'll get a Centos VM with HDP services running on it. It is well tested and supported.