Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

Query with transform clause is disallowed in current configuration

Super Collaborator
2015-12-09 09:14:54,306 ERROR [HiveServer2-Background-Pool: Thread-60853]: ql.Driver (SessionState.java:printError(833)) - FAILED: Hive Internal Error: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.security.authorization.plugin.HiveAccessControlException(Query with transform clause is disallowed in current configuration.)
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.security.authorization.plugin.HiveAccessControlException: Query with transform clause is disallowed in current configuration.
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.security.authorization.plugin.DisallowTransformHook.run(DisallowTransformHook.java:34)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.execute(Driver.java:1304)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.runInternal(Driver.java:1177)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:1004)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.Driver.run(Driver.java:999)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.runQuery(SQLOperation.java:144)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation.access$100(SQLOperation.java:69)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation$1$1.run(SQLOperation.java:196)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Subject.java:415)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1628)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hive.shims.HadoopShimsSecure.doAs(HadoopShimsSecure.java:536)
        at org.apache.hive.service.cli.operation.SQLOperation$1.run(SQLOperation.java:208)
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:471)
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:262)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
14 REPLIES 14

Here is the Apache JIRA that discusses this. It is unresolved at the moment. It discusses why TRANSFORM clause is a security risk and disabled with SQL Authorization in Hive. - Server wide Control over Transform Clause in Hive

Master Mentor

@Raja Sekhar Chintalapati has this been resolved? Please accept best answer or provide your own solution.

I followed the links provided, edited some of the security policies within Ranger, but I'm still not able to execute the Hive UDF. Here's my error msg:

Error while processing statement: FAILED: Hive Internal Error: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.security.authorization.plugin.HiveAccessControlException(Query with transform clause is disallowed in current configuration.)

Does anyone have additional tips/advice that would allow me to run a Hive "transform" UDF (that is written in python)?

This seems to run fine when I use a Spark to call the UDF, but I'd like to compare the results to Hive as well.

Thanks!

Explorer

Any update , its 2018. I am gettiing the same error,

Error: Error while processing statement: FAILED: Hive Internal Error: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.security.authorization.plugin.HiveAccessControlException(Query with transform clause is disallowed in current configuration.) (state=08S01,code=12)

New Contributor

Any update on this?

I am getting same error as mentioned above even when I disabled Ranger