Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

SQOOP- unable tio connect to mysql or Hive2 server

Contributor

Hi,

I am learning sqoop using the sandbox and blocked on the first step concerning connection to the database server.

I ssh the VM with git bash

I have tested 2 cases : mysql and hive

For the first case , I type the command "mysql -u root" and it returns "access denied" as you can see on the picture in the red rectangle

For the second case, I tried to connect to Hive server - database "default". I used the jdbc url i have seen on ambari /Hive service as you can see on picture ambariHive

Does anyone can help me troubleshooting this problem?

Thanks

ambarihive.pngsqoopproblem.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Oriane

In Sandbox the default mysql password will be "hadoop" So please try this:

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password: hadoop

Then once you are inside the mysql prompt you can run the following kind of queries:

mysql> use mysql
mysql> show tables;
mysql> select * from help_keyword;

. Then from Sqoop try the following:

# sqoop list-databases --connect "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306" --username root --password hadoop

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

@Oriane

There are two issues in your attached screen shots:

1. "access denied" you should use the "-p" option while connecting to mysql as following:

mysql -u root -p

If it still does not work then Try the following: Reset the root password:

mysqladmin -u root password newPassword

Then try to connect to mysql as following:

mysql -u root -p

2. Regarding the Sqoop connection string, I see that there are extra "//" sybmol in the connection string.

jdbc://hive2://sandbox.hortonworks.com:2181/default

Should be following i guess:

jdbc:hive2://sandbox.hortonworks.com:2181/default

- You might want to try the SQOOP command as following:

sqoop list-databases --connect "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306" --username root --password newPassword

OR

sqoop list-tables --connect "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/testDB" --username root --password ewPassword

Contributor

Hi @Jay . Thanks for your response. You are right concerning hive so i remove the extra "//" as you see on the pic but I face a problem of "parsing arguments"

Concerning the command "msql -u root -p, i always face the problem of access denied

Thanks for your feedbacksqoopproblem1.png

Master Mentor

@Oriane

Can you check if your "mysql" is listening to which host? (localhost or any specific hostname)? Mysql should by default open 3306 port.

nstatst -tnlpa | grep 3306

try restarting mysql

service mysqld restart

Also try to enclose the --connection string inside Double Quotation mark. As mentioned in my previous example.

Master Mentor

@Oriane

In Sandbox the default mysql password will be "hadoop" So please try this:

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password: hadoop

Then once you are inside the mysql prompt you can run the following kind of queries:

mysql> use mysql
mysql> show tables;
mysql> select * from help_keyword;

. Then from Sqoop try the following:

# sqoop list-databases --connect "jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306" --username root --password hadoop

Contributor

Thanks @jay! I am able to list the tables using mysql database server and its databases and also tables in each data base.