Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Setting up Cloudera environment

New Contributor

Hi Cloudera Community, greetings from Florida

I am very new to the new Cloudera Technologies. What I need is working with Impala and get used to that technology. Before, I used to download the Cloudera VM and that is it. All the technologies came installed already. 

Would you please help me by saying step by step what I need in order to have a working environment in which I can use Impala?

How that is work?

Is there any other free IDE different than web based HUE? If not, that is OK. 

How much will it cost to have a small dataset and run some queries?

But mainly I need to have it everything set up. 

Thanks for your help and time

VV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @MiamiDataEng 

Yes, Cloudra is no longer making that version of the Cloudera Quickstart VM available for download because it was old and outdated as it was based on CDH 5.13, which went out of support in the Fall of last year. To give you a sense of what I mean, CDH 5.16.2, which came out in the Spring of 2019 (and was more up-to-date than CDH 5.13), included Apache Impala 2.12. CDP Private Cloud Base version 7.1.3, which was released in the Fall of 2020, includes Apache Impala 3.4.0, and includes more new features and bug fixes.

The label on your question indicated you're interested in Cloudera Data Platform. You should be aware, then, that there is extensive and thorough documentation on installing the CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform (the "free trial" for which expires after 60 days) on a non-production environment for demonstration and proof-of-concept use cases, however it looks to me like this is intended for multi-host clusters of machines. You might not have such a group of machines available to you, and for economic reasons, might want to avoid creating such a cluster using a cloud service provider's IaaS facilities.

Alternatively, if you're already familiar with Virtualbox and Vagrant, you might consider @carrossoni's community article outlining how to create a Centos7 CDP-DC Trial VM for sandbox/learning purposes

Hope this helps. 

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hello @MiamiDataEng 

Yes, Cloudra is no longer making that version of the Cloudera Quickstart VM available for download because it was old and outdated as it was based on CDH 5.13, which went out of support in the Fall of last year. To give you a sense of what I mean, CDH 5.16.2, which came out in the Spring of 2019 (and was more up-to-date than CDH 5.13), included Apache Impala 2.12. CDP Private Cloud Base version 7.1.3, which was released in the Fall of 2020, includes Apache Impala 3.4.0, and includes more new features and bug fixes.

The label on your question indicated you're interested in Cloudera Data Platform. You should be aware, then, that there is extensive and thorough documentation on installing the CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform (the "free trial" for which expires after 60 days) on a non-production environment for demonstration and proof-of-concept use cases, however it looks to me like this is intended for multi-host clusters of machines. You might not have such a group of machines available to you, and for economic reasons, might want to avoid creating such a cluster using a cloud service provider's IaaS facilities.

Alternatively, if you're already familiar with Virtualbox and Vagrant, you might consider @carrossoni's community article outlining how to create a Centos7 CDP-DC Trial VM for sandbox/learning purposes

Hope this helps. 

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.