Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Sign in with root user

Explorer

I'm trying to login to sandbox with root user pwd:hadoop but it fails(I never changed the root password)

9 REPLIES 9

Master Mentor

@Weiss Ruth

Are you using the shell client?

96527-hdp-root.jpg

HTH

Master Mentor

@Weiss Ruth

Please make sure that you are using the correct SSH port to connect to the Sandbox. The port will be 2222 something like following:

# ssh root@127.0.0.1  -p 2222
Enter password : hadoop

Or you can also use the Web Client to do SSH login to sandbox like by accessing the following URL.

http://localhost:4200

Master Mentor

@Weiss Ruth

Look like there is another duplicate thread opened for the same query. Please close one of them.

https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/232188/unable-to-login-with-root-user-using-hadoop-passw...

Explorer

I'm trying to login as root user with hadoop password but with no success, not by the web client and not by ssh, attaching print screens.

loginwebclient.pngsshlogin.png

Master Mentor

@Weiss Ruth

It seems you duplicated your thread this doesn't help, firstly we lose track of the previous history and start diagnostics from scratch which is a waste of time.

Having said that using the windows cmd line sshlogin.png won't work because the 127.0.0.1 maps to the local hosts the host via the loopback network interface on your windows machine and NOT the Sandbox running in Oracle Virtualbox. Download the putty and use port tunneling to map the port 2222 !
HTH

Explorer

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I would like to close the other thread, I just don't know how.

regarding your answer, the windows command line is connected via openssh that's why login with other user (such as maria_dev) works.

any way login with web client fails as well.

Contributor

@Weiss Ruth

Can you provide some more details on your deployment.

1. Which deployment of the sandbox are you using? Virtual-box/VmWare/Docker ?

2. Are you trying to login to the Sandbox container or the VM that is hosting the container ?

If you are trying to login to the sandbox host VM, then try running the following command ( assuming you have mapped the IP address of the sandbox to the hostname )

ssh root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com -p 2200

If you are trying to login to the HDP container , then run the following command ( you would be prompted to change the password at first login )

ssh root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com -p 2201

use hadoop as the password in both the cases

ssh root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com -p 2200

root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com's password:

[root@sandbox-host ~]#

ssh root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com -p 2201

root@sandbox-hdp.hortonworks.com's password:

[root@sandbox-hdp ~]#

New Contributor

Hello all ( @Weiss Ruth, @Jay Kumar SenSharma, @Vinesh Paul, @Geoffrey Shelton Okot),

I have the same problem (as @Weiss Ruth) with my HDP 2.5 Oracle VM VirtualBox with Hortonworks Docker Sandbox. VirtualBox is running on Windows 10 laptop. Under user maria_dev with password maria_dev everything works perfectly.

$ ssh maria_dev@127.0.0.1 -p 2222
maria_dev@127.0.0.1's password:
Last login: Sun Jan  6 23:03:10 2019 from 10.0.2.2
[maria_dev@sandbox ~]$

If I try to login as root with following string:

$ ssh root@127.0.0.1 -p 2222

with password hadoop login is unsuccessful with following message: Permission denied, please try again.

$ ssh root@127.0.0.1 -p 2222
root@127.0.0.1's password:
Permission denied, please try again.
root@127.0.0.1's password:

The same issue when I tried to substitute user with command su root under user maria_dev but message a bit different: su: incorrect password

$ ssh maria_dev@127.0.0.1 -p 2222
maria_dev@127.0.0.1's password:
Last login: Sun Jan  6 23:18:02 2019 from 10.0.2.2
[maria_dev@sandbox ~]$ su root
Password:
su: incorrect password
[maria_dev@sandbox ~]$

At the same time root/hadoop works fine in VM terminal (tty1). Defaul picture when machine started looks like following:

97526-virtualbox-hortonworks-docker-sandbox-07-01-2019-0.png

and after Alt+F5 with root/hadoop login is successful:

97528-virtualbox-hortonworks-docker-sandbox-07-01-2019-0.png

It would be great if Hortonwork's experts could clarify what is going wrong with root/hadoop in cases above?

Contributor

@Alexander Lebedev , Are you still facing login issues with the Sandbox?

This looks like a redirection issue with your localhost and would most probably be linked to your /etc/hosts configuration. Let me know if you are still stuck with this , would be happy to help.