Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Single Node Configuration Questions

Contributor

I am a complete noob to Hadoop and in need of some help. I am building a single node cluster with 4 separate 2tb hard drives. My hopes are to have the primary hard drive dedicated for the OS (CentOS 7) and the other 3 for HDFS. However, when trying to configure the cluster through Ambari, I am not finding the option to do so. Am I missing something? How do I configure Hadoop to use the secondary hard drives to store and access data? Due to the strict network policies I am wanting to stay away from virtual machines and I figure there is a way to have the naming and data nodes on the OS HDD, while the actual data is on the expendable HDDs. Simple, right? Please help. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

@Joshua Petree

It is doable, no problem.

You would have to mount the 4 disks to the OS anyway. So mount the OS disk to / and the other 3 HD's to /hadoop/hdfs/data1, /hadoop/hdfs/data2 and /hadoop/hdfs/data3.

In Ambari you can set the OS level local folders to be used as HDFS storage like in the screenprint. property = 'dfs.datanode.data.dir'

screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-40427-pm.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Super Collaborator

@Joshua Petree

It is doable, no problem.

You would have to mount the 4 disks to the OS anyway. So mount the OS disk to / and the other 3 HD's to /hadoop/hdfs/data1, /hadoop/hdfs/data2 and /hadoop/hdfs/data3.

In Ambari you can set the OS level local folders to be used as HDFS storage like in the screenprint. property = 'dfs.datanode.data.dir'

screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-40427-pm.png

Contributor

Thank you for your response.

I have the other three already mounted to the base system (/mnt/...), named Data1, Data2, Data3 already. How do I mount them to hadoop? Is this a configuration in Ambari/HDFS? Or is this something I must do in terminal? Again, still learning the finer details of this system.

Thanks.

Super Collaborator

Yes, just enter those OS level paths ( /mnt/data1,/mnt/data2,/mnt/data3 ) as comma separated value in the box for Datadir ('dfs.datadir.data.dir') on the HDFS config page on Ambari.

HFDS is just a logical layer on top of the OS level filesystem, so you just hand Ambari/Hadoop the locations on the native OS filesystem where to 'host' HDFS.

Super Collaborator
@Joshua Petree

Don't forget to mark the question as answered, if it is answered