Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Spark not picking older Kafka messages

I have a Spark consumer that reads messages from Kafka using KafkaUtils.CreateDirectStream() for a set of 100 topics. Then processes the messages and persists in the data lake. However, if my spark consumer suddenly crashes or dies and isn't up for a few hours or a day then all the millions of messages that have come in the duration in the Kafka topics are never picked up when I restart the consumer. How to get older messages without impacting performance?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

You need to enable checkpointing. It will catalog the last read kafka offset and start reading from there. Heres the code you need to accomplish that:

def createContext(sc: SparkContext, checkpointDir: String, duration: Int): StreamingContext = {
  val ssc = new StreamingContext(sc,Seconds(duration))
  ssc.checkpoint(checkpointDir)
  ssc
}

val ssc = StreamingContext.getOrCreate(checkpointDir, createContext(sc, checkpointDir, duration))
KafkaUtils.createDirectStream(ssc,kafkaParams,topics)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Collaborator

You need to enable checkpointing. It will catalog the last read kafka offset and start reading from there. Heres the code you need to accomplish that:

def createContext(sc: SparkContext, checkpointDir: String, duration: Int): StreamingContext = {
  val ssc = new StreamingContext(sc,Seconds(duration))
  ssc.checkpoint(checkpointDir)
  ssc
}

val ssc = StreamingContext.getOrCreate(checkpointDir, createContext(sc, checkpointDir, duration))
KafkaUtils.createDirectStream(ssc,kafkaParams,topics)

Thanks! Does it then write to the check point dir after parsing every message (i.e after processing each streaming RDD) ? Is it an HDFS path? Will the HDFS hit everytime slow down the process?

Also, If there are many kafka consumer groups then will this create a separate checkpoint dir for each consumer group?