Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Standby NameNode cant start in ambari cluster

we are trying to start the "Standby NameNode (HDFS)" on master01 machine in ambari cluster version 2.6

and we cant start it

we get the following logs:

ERROR namenode.NameNode (NameNode.java:main(1774)) - Failed to start namenode. org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.EditLogInputException: Error replaying edit log at offset 0. Expected transaction ID was 13361263 at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLogLoader.loadEditRecords(FSEditLogLoader.java:203) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSEditLogLoader.loadFSEdits(FSEditLogLoader.java:143) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadEdits(FSImage.java:838) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.loadFSImage(FSImage.java:693) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:289) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFSImage(FSNamesystem.java:1045) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFromDisk(FSNamesystem.java:703) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:688) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:752) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:992) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:976) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1701) at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1769) Caused by: org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.RedundantEditLogInputStream$PrematureEOFException: got premature end-of-file at txid 13361262; expected file to go up to 13361312

what chould be the problem m and how to fix , so the service will start?

Michael-Bronson
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@uri ben-ari

1. Was this Node working fine earlier?

2. Do you have the correct "etc/hosts" entry in upper case or mixed case.

3. Is this a kerberized cluster?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

we found this workaround - hadoop namenode -recover , is it other soultion for our problem ?

Michael-Bronson

hi jay just to clarify your instructions ( and regarding that standby name node on master01 and active node on master02 can you approve this steps

su - hdfs

hdfs dfsadmin -safemode leave ( on master02 )

cp -rp /hadoop/hdfs/journal/hdfsha/current /hadoop/hdfs/journal/hdfsha/current.orig ( on master02 )

rm -f /hadoop/hdfs/journal/hdfsha/current/* ( on master02 )

hdfs namenode -bootstrapStandby ( on master01 )

Michael-Bronson

Contributor

Hi @mike_bronson7 ,

were you able to solve the issue with those steps?

Thank you

I had created a new HA enabled cluster on EC2 instances. It came up without any issues. I then installed kerberos on two machines as master and slave, and then started the kerberos enable ambari wizard. At the last step of starting the services, Namenode start failed on both the nodes and gave same error as above. How this error came on a new setup and how to prevent it from coming up in my next environment setup?

I had created a new HA enabled cluster on EC2 instances. It came up without any issues. I then installed kerberos on two machines as master and slave, and then started the kerberos enable ambari wizard. At the last step of starting the services, Namenode start failed on both the nodes and gave same error as above. How this error came on a new setup and how to prevent it from coming up in my next environment setup?