Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise

The "Lineage" tab in the UI disappears when creating my own DataSet and Process types

New Contributor

Issue: The lineage tab in the UI disappears when creating my own DataSet and Process types.

Details: Because I don’t want to inherit all the relationship attributes from DataSet, I would like to create my own custom, My_DataSet that inherits directly from Asset, just the same the Atlas’ buil-in one.

Also, because of the relationships defined between DataSet and Process, I also created my own process type, say My_Process and therefore linked the new types through the new, 

my_dataset_process_inputs and 

my_process_dataset_outputs.

These relationships, just like the buil-in Atlas’ ones tie together the relationships attributes My_DataSet.inputToProcesses, My_DataSet.inputFromProcesses to My_Process.inputs and My_Process.outputs. So just like Atlas, the only difference, less relationship attributes in the My_DataSet definition, as mentioned before.

Back to the issue, now I don’t see the “Lineage” tab in the UI. The relationships between actual entities, when created, are shown properly, but lineage capability, appears to be gone.

Questions:

1. I wonder if Atlas relies on its own, dataset_process_inputs and 

process_dataset_outputs, with these exact names to infer the concept of lineage?

2. If the above is true, I would think that somehow I should be able to tell Atlas that my own, my_dataset_process_inputs and my_process_dataset_outputs should also be used to make lineage available? 

If this won’t be possible, it would be very constraining. Should be able to create a custom model, one would think. Hopefully it is not the case.

I would appreciate any education/advise you could provide.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2

Community Manager

@Heli Welcome to the Cloudera Community!

To help you get the best possible solution, I have tagged our Atlas experts @Scharan @cravani  who may be able to assist you further.

Please keep us updated on your post, and we hope you find a satisfactory solution to your query.

Regards,

Diana Torres,
Community Moderator

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

New Contributor

Thank you Diana, really appreciated!

New to the community and looking forward to learn.