Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Trying to deploy Apache Metron on single node VM, but Ansible and maven dependency failures, please help I am stuck

Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to deploy Apache Metron on a single node VM, but after vagrant up, when I run vagrant provision, it gives me errors on maven dependencies and ansible failed to setup successfully.

I have installed all packages defined for Metron deployment, Ansible 2.0.0.2, Vagrant 1.9.6, Maven 3.3.9, Virtual Box 5.1.30 JDK 1.8 and Python 2.7.5

Also, when I run the command "mvn clean package", metron-config error pops up and it doesnt complete its installation, followed by metron-rest, metron-rest client

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

Hey @Gaurav Bapat, you need not run the mvn command every time. Just once should suffice. Also, if you have used the full-dev vagrant deployment, you need not have to do anything with Ambari UI (or the Step 3 screenshot) you have pasted.

So, let me paraphrase the steps for you so that you can give this a try once more, afresh. Let me know how it goes.

Assumption: Say your metron folder is located at: /user/gaurav/metron

Step 0 - Cleanup all existing deployments:

* Run the following commands:

cd /user/gaurav/metron/metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform
vagrant destroy -f

* The above destroy command would terminate and delete the existing running VM. You can also run 'VirtualBox' command to launch the application console, and can delete any other stray VMs that are not required.

Step 1 - Compile metron

cd /user/gaurav/metron
mvn clean compile -DskipTests

* The above command will take about 10 mins or so to complete, and should end with a "SUCCESS" message

Step 2 - Bring up metron VM

cd /user/gaurav/metron/metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform
vagrant up

* The above command will take about 45 mins to over an hour to complete. I would recommend that you disable auto-sleep of the system in case it is enabled.

At the end of the step 2 above, you should be able to see a message saying that the deployment completed successfully.

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60

Explorer

@asubramanian I am not able to install metron components

43726-capture39.jpg

43725-capture40.jpg

@

Super Collaborator

Please click on the link as highlighted below.... to see the service logs

43727-screen-shot-2017-11-28-at-120234-pm.png

Also, from your 2nd screenshot I can see that there was a timeout because of which the script was killed. This could be due to resource constraints on your system. I would recommend that you find a system with a better configuration and try deploying Metron there.

Explorer
@asubramanian

I have 16 GB RAM in my pc and I have allocated 10 GB for my centOS VM, can I make centOS as my base machine and get Metron up on a 16 GB RAM rather than 10 GB?

Also, do I need a i7 processor? Thanks you are awesome!!

Super Collaborator

You are welcome! 🙂

Yes, 16 GB is definitely better @Gaurav Bapat. Yup, more the processing, you will see better results.

Explorer

@asubramanian

Why do I have to always do vagrant up" and "mvn clean compile", when I do vagrant up, it gives me ambari server not up error and mvn dependency errors, then again when I follow your 3 steps I get the Metron up.

Also not all the metron components are loaded and also, how do I setup this on a server and apply Machine Learning?

Explorer

@asubramanian

How do I setup metron on a server on 10 nodes, also why do I always have to do vagrant up, as I am getting ambari-server not up error when I login

42791-capture41.jpg

Super Collaborator

@Gaurav Bapat

1) For the multinode install, I would recommend that you try to setup HCP by following the documentation at: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HCP1/HCP-1.3.1/bk_installation/content/installation_info_r...

2) For the Ambari going down, you need NOT do 'vagrant up' every time. Ambari dying out probably indicates that you are having a resource crunch on the VM. In order to bring up Ambari, you can follow these steps:

cd metron-deployment/vagrant/full-dev-platform
vagrant ssh
sudo ambari-server status #To find out current status of service
sudo ambari-server start #To start in case the service is stopped

Cheers,

Anand

Explorer

@asubramanian

What happens after this step? I see a big lag from here, and I have allocated 13 GB RAM for my VM 42792-capture42.jpg

Super Collaborator

This is where the crux of the whole deployment happens - Ambari first installs all the services, and then starts them.

Explorer

42793-capture43.jpg@asubramanian

My system fails to deploy metron , why does this happen?