Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to start the WebHcat server in Ambari Version 2.5.2

Explorer

We are unable to start the WebHcat server. We are the getting the below error :

This the error we are getting :

Fail: Applying File['/usr/hdp/2.6.3.0/hive/conf/hive-site.xml'] failed, parent directory /usr/hdp/2.6.3.0/hive/conf doesn't exist

Please see the bug has been patched in version 2.6 and later . but we are using 2.5.2 . However , FYI , we have another machine with same version where we are able to start/stop the webhcat server without any issues .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Raj ji

I think your symlink is broken please recreate the symlink and re-test ! It should look like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 19  2017  /usr/hdp/2.6.3.0/hive/conf  -> /etc/hive/2.6.3.0/0

To create a new symlink (will fail if symlink exists already):

ln -s /path/to/file /path/to/symlink

To create or update a symlink:

ln -sf /path/to/file /path/to/symlink

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Master Mentor

@Raj ji

I think your symlink is broken please recreate the symlink and re-test ! It should look like this

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Oct 19  2017  /usr/hdp/2.6.3.0/hive/conf  -> /etc/hive/2.6.3.0/0

To create a new symlink (will fail if symlink exists already):

ln -s /path/to/file /path/to/symlink

To create or update a symlink:

ln -sf /path/to/file /path/to/symlink

Hope that helps

Master Mentor

@Raj ji

Any updates?

Explorer

Apologies for the delay , I wasn't able to reply back in mobile . though I have drafted the reply . . Yes It worked !! . But we have already created the Symlink and We have even edited the python code with the absolute path in Webhcat.py file . Both the above solution works for me . However my concern is , we have had a problem when we changed the symlink in other service. So we dont want any trouble later . Would it be alright to create symlink alone as permanent workaround . Or any other permanent solution. Just curiosity , How did you predicted after seeing the error. Kindly teach us how did you analyzed the error quickly 🙂

Master Mentor

@Raj ji

Yes, Symlinks are preferred to tweaking the py codes !!!

How I quickly analyzed the first pointer was " parent directory /usr/hdp/2.6.3.0/hive/conf doesn't exist" this by experience is a symlink which points to the configuration files. So without that symlink access to the conf files you can't start the WebHcat server