Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX) Error for HDP 3.0.1 on Windows 10

Contributor

I have donwloaded HDP 3.0.1, and then installed in Virtualbox(its version greater than 5.1). But I am getting this error. Virtualization is enabled in BIOS. Also, Hyper -v was installed. What I will do?

Note: I run Virtualbox as Adminastor.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Adam J

VT-x is Intel's technology for virtualization on the x86 platform. VT-x allows multiple operating systems to simultaneously share x86 processor resources in a safe and efficient manner. Make sure Virtualization is enabled in your BIOS.

1. To check the status of Hyper-v in Windows 10,<right click start> | Run | OptionalFeatures.exe, and look for the "Hyper-V" option. The box should be empty, not checked or shaded. If you want to be absolutely sure that Hyper-v is gone then open an administrator command console and type "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off". Make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing the Hyper-v setting.
  2. On some Windows hosts with an EFI BIOS, DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard may be active by default, and interferes with OS level virtualization apps in the same way that Hyper-v does. These features need to be disabled. On Pro versions of Windows you can do this using gpedit.msc (setLocal Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard > Turn on Virtualization Based SecuritytoDisabled. CredentialGuard is a subset of DeviceGuard, so disabling the former should be enough. If you cannot use gpedit for some reason then the equivalent registry hack is to find the keyHKLM|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Control|DeviceGuard|EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity|Enabledand set it to 0.
  3. On Win10 hosts, checkWindows Defender > Device Security > Core Isolation Detailsand make sure settings in this panel are turned off, reboot the host from power down if you needed to make changes.
    "Core isolation [includes] security features available on your device that use virtualization-based security"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Master Mentor

@Adam J

VT-x is Intel's technology for virtualization on the x86 platform. VT-x allows multiple operating systems to simultaneously share x86 processor resources in a safe and efficient manner. Make sure Virtualization is enabled in your BIOS.

1. To check the status of Hyper-v in Windows 10,<right click start> | Run | OptionalFeatures.exe, and look for the "Hyper-V" option. The box should be empty, not checked or shaded. If you want to be absolutely sure that Hyper-v is gone then open an administrator command console and type "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off". Make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing the Hyper-v setting.
  2. On some Windows hosts with an EFI BIOS, DeviceGuard or CredentialGuard may be active by default, and interferes with OS level virtualization apps in the same way that Hyper-v does. These features need to be disabled. On Pro versions of Windows you can do this using gpedit.msc (setLocal Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Guard > Turn on Virtualization Based SecuritytoDisabled. CredentialGuard is a subset of DeviceGuard, so disabling the former should be enough. If you cannot use gpedit for some reason then the equivalent registry hack is to find the keyHKLM|SYSTEM|CurrentControlSet|Control|DeviceGuard|EnableVirtualizationBasedSecurity|Enabledand set it to 0.
  3. On Win10 hosts, checkWindows Defender > Device Security > Core Isolation Detailsand make sure settings in this panel are turned off, reboot the host from power down if you needed to make changes.
    "Core isolation [includes] security features available on your device that use virtualization-based security"

Master Mentor

Contributor

I have disabled Hyper-V. It worked. Thank you so much.

New Contributor

thanks, @jsensharma 

I had to do one more thing (Windows 10 pro, Dell Inspiron):

run OptionalFeatures.exe

hyper-v.PNG