Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What happens inside the Spark Component Adding through Ambari ?

Expert Contributor

Hi there,

I am trying to install Spark on 16 node HDP cluster. When I select spark component in the Ambari (Add components page), what happens. Does it install spark library on all the nodes and install Spark server on the master node?

Previously I ran Spark on local mode but want to know how does the installation work under the hood?

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Smart Solutions you will have to select where you want Spark History Server to run and which machines to install Spark clients on. There is a page further down the road that will allow you to pick which nodes to select what on. For example on Sandbox, if I click either URL below, will take me to sandbox.hortonworks.com, on your cluster, URLs will point to whatever servers you defined.

2405-untitled.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Master Mentor

@Smart Solutions you will have to select where you want Spark History Server to run and which machines to install Spark clients on. There is a page further down the road that will allow you to pick which nodes to select what on. For example on Sandbox, if I click either URL below, will take me to sandbox.hortonworks.com, on your cluster, URLs will point to whatever servers you defined.

2405-untitled.png

Expert Contributor

Thanks does it mean we install just Spark clients and nothing related to master processes or server on HDP? While configuring through Ambari?

Master Mentor

no, you install master services as well. Spark History for example is a service. I don't have access to an installation right now otherwise I'd shown you install steps. Basically components are categorized by clients and master services. You check and uncheck which machines will serve as what. @Smart Solutions

Master Mentor
@Smart Solutions

Take a look on this

http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.4/bk_installing_manually_book/content/ch_insta...

You can pick nodes where you want your clients.

When you install Spark, the following directories will be created:

• /usr/hdp/current/spark-client for submitting Spark jobs
  • /usr/hdp/current/spark-history for launching Spark master processes, such as the Spark History Server
  • /usr/hdp/current/spark-thriftserver for the Spark Thrift Server

Master Mentor

@Smart Solutions See this

You need master services and clients.

2422-screen-shot-2016-02-26-at-53746-am.png

You can see that I have spark client in 3 nodes

when I clicked spark clients and then clicks one of the nodes then you can see all the clients installed in that node

See : Clients

2423-screen-shot-2016-02-26-at-53813-am.png

@Smart Solutions

When you add Spark through Ambari, you will be asked to choose where to deploy master service (Spark History Service)

2577-screen-shot-2016-03-03-at-61657-pm.png

And then to choose where to deploy clients services

2579-screen-shot-2016-03-03-at-61559-pm.png

Finally you will be asked for several properties

screen-shot-2016-03-03-at-61725-pm.png