Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What is best way to reboot machines in the Hadoop Cluster ?

Contributor

We have a recently build 5 node HDP cluster, it is not in HA mode. Some time in the future there will be an requirement from the Unix team to apply patches/server maintenance. which would require rebooting the server machines. What is the best way to do it ?

I plan to do the following :

1) Shut down all services using Ambari.

2) Shutdown ambari-agents on all nodes.

3) Shutdown ambari-server.

4) Reboot all nodes as required .

5) Restart ambari-server, agents and services in that order.

Is this the correct sequence ? or am I missing anything .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor
@Anilkumar Panda

I like your approach. This is not different from typical RDBMS or any other application stack.

you can use rest API to shutdown services if your like link (You can create a shell script to call stop function on the services that you have installed)

5) Restart ambari-server, agents and services in that order. (chkdconfig on ambari-server and agent helps to bring up services on reboot)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Sounds good.

Make sure all services did stop successfully and Namenode is in safemode before you reboot.

Note: Before you patch your system make sure your backups are up2date. See this https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/4135/what-to-backup-and-how-only-metadata-not-data.html

Switching off ambari-agent is a bit overkill as it will be done by sysinit upon system reboot. In the same way, it will be restarted automatically.

For your datanodes, you may want to do one at a time to limit the downtime.

Super Collaborator

Master Mentor
@Anilkumar Panda

I like your approach. This is not different from typical RDBMS or any other application stack.

you can use rest API to shutdown services if your like link (You can create a shell script to call stop function on the services that you have installed)

5) Restart ambari-server, agents and services in that order. (chkdconfig on ambari-server and agent helps to bring up services on reboot)

Master Mentor

@Anilkumar Panda are you still having issues with this? Can you accept best answer or provide your own solution?