Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

What is the password to Ranger? It's not admin/admin and I have not changed anything.

New Contributor

I have literally used the VM out of the box. Trying to train on materials and can't get anything working. 

Been trying to resolve this issue for a  week. Just finished a Codementor session and they couldn't get it either. if the password is not default (and I literally haven't touched anything) what is next? 

Hive access denied.  Someone suggested changing something in ranger. I don't know if that's true or not. Asked a guy on Codementor. 

Just trying to get data into the table I created.

Delete this VM and try again or?  I have logged in and ran hive as root, maria_dev, hive and hdfs. (btw, don't know what I am doing, not being trained properly, have zero tech support and am expected to learn this for work clients and am not supposed to have any problems that need solving. (shrugs)

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG6.PNG12.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @fatalprocess 

You write that you "have literally used the VM out of the box", but you didn't indicate what "VM" it was, where you retrieved it from, whose instructions you followed to install it (from Codementor?) or configure it or what version you installed. You also didn't indicate which virtualization platform you're using. All this makes it quite difficult to troubleshoot your problem remotely.

Judging from the web page shots you posted, I will assume that you are intending to use the HDP Sandbox, but it's still not clear which version you installed. The most recent version of the HDP Sandbox was based on HDP 3.0.1.0, which dates from November 2018. It would probably be a better approach to "start over", download that latest version and carefully follow the Sandbox Deployment and Install Guide and the accompanying tutorial Learning the Ropes of the HDP Sandbox.

I should mention, though, that the HDP Sandbox is based on legacy products that no longer represent Cloudera's current product offerings (which is why the two web pages I referred to above are difficult to land on, directly). Since you say that you don't know what you are doing and have not been trained properly, if you're able to choose I strongly recommend simply abandoning your work with the HDP Sandbox and proceeding to use and train yourself on Cloudera Data Platform, which in it's on-premises "form factor" can be installed as CDP Private Cloud. CDP supersedes HDP as Cloudera's Enterprise Data Cloud offering.

There is extensive and thorough documentation on installing the CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform using on-premises hardware and Cloudera also has an extensive tutorial on installing a CDP Private Cloud Base (trial version) leveraging AWS in an infra... which you should consider.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Hi @fatalprocess 

You write that you "have literally used the VM out of the box", but you didn't indicate what "VM" it was, where you retrieved it from, whose instructions you followed to install it (from Codementor?) or configure it or what version you installed. You also didn't indicate which virtualization platform you're using. All this makes it quite difficult to troubleshoot your problem remotely.

Judging from the web page shots you posted, I will assume that you are intending to use the HDP Sandbox, but it's still not clear which version you installed. The most recent version of the HDP Sandbox was based on HDP 3.0.1.0, which dates from November 2018. It would probably be a better approach to "start over", download that latest version and carefully follow the Sandbox Deployment and Install Guide and the accompanying tutorial Learning the Ropes of the HDP Sandbox.

I should mention, though, that the HDP Sandbox is based on legacy products that no longer represent Cloudera's current product offerings (which is why the two web pages I referred to above are difficult to land on, directly). Since you say that you don't know what you are doing and have not been trained properly, if you're able to choose I strongly recommend simply abandoning your work with the HDP Sandbox and proceeding to use and train yourself on Cloudera Data Platform, which in it's on-premises "form factor" can be installed as CDP Private Cloud. CDP supersedes HDP as Cloudera's Enterprise Data Cloud offering.

There is extensive and thorough documentation on installing the CDP Private Cloud Base Edition of Cloudera Data Platform using on-premises hardware and Cloudera also has an extensive tutorial on installing a CDP Private Cloud Base (trial version) leveraging AWS in an infra... which you should consider.

Bill Brooks, Community Moderator
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.