Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Where does Hue Oozie editor store the workflow.xml file?

Explorer

Where does Hue Oozie editor store the workflow.xml file? I do not see it in the workspace.

When I create a new workflow, I specify "HDFS deployment directory". I expected that the workflow file would appear there. 

Is there a means to specify where Oozie should store the workflow.xml file?

18 REPLIES 18

Expert Contributor

So is it in RAM or some other temp directory? How can I prevent a Hue service crash from wiping out the workflow which has been edited but not yet persisted in the workspace directory?

Super Guru
Hue is using a database for persisting all its states, user information,
documents of users like Hive Queries, workflows, Pig script... etc

If the Hue service crashes before you click save, you will have to have it
back up in order to save the document (think like gmail without the auto
save if you un-plug your computer, but
https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/HUE-2669 is targeting that).

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/documentation/core/latest/topics/cdh_ig_hue_database.htm...
http://gethue.com/how-to-manage-the-hue-database-with-the-shell/

The new Oozie Editor makes it easier to export workflows from the Hue DB in
the Hue format: http://gethue.com/export-and-import-your-oozie-workflows/

In Hue 4, workflows will be exportable/importable in the Hue format + XML
directly from the UI.

Romain

Expert Contributor

Thanks for the update Romain.

When is Hue 4 targeted for?

Super Guru
Roughly, the current timeline is:

Hue 3.8: next week
Hue 3.9: this summer
Hue 4.0 - beta 1: September or November
Hue 4.0: April 2016

Romain

Expert Contributor
Thanks Romain!

New Contributor

@SINGHabhijeet wrote:

Hi Romainr

Thanks for linking relevant JIRAs and highlighting Hue 4.0 features. We are using Hue 3.12 and it does not have workflow.xml Import/Export feature.

If some XML is missing you could tell us what that way we could improve the editor and remove the need to manually edit the XML.

I was looking at adding <arg> </arg> in the workflow.xml as shown here using Hue, but was unable to do so. Can you please point out how we can achieve this?

I ran into this error and resolved it by just using Arguments. Earlier was trying to combine <command> and <arg> and since it's a xs:choice in DTD, I just used <arg> to get it working.

New Contributor

Hi Romainr

Thanks for linking relevant JIRAs and highlighting Hue 4.0 features. We are using Hue 3.12 and it does not have workflow.xml Import/Export feature.

If some XML is missing you could tell us what that way we could improve the editor and remove the need to manually edit the XML.

I was looking at adding <arg> </arg> in the workflow.xml as shown here using Hue, but was unable to do so. Can you please point out how we can achieve this?

Expert Contributor

I have the same concern.  Cloudera is being used to build enterprise applications in large organizations.  Typically these customers have well-established software development processes and policies.  One of them is source control and build/release versioning.  Oozie workflows are major software artifacts and as such, need to be tracked in standard source control systems, and be managed by automated build/deployment tools.  

Instead of reinventing the wheel, it would be more useful for Hue to provide integration with industry-standard tools like SVN, Git, Ant and Maven.  In a way becoming the Eclipse of Hadoop (ok, perhaps not the best analogy).

Another related point is workflow ownership and access.  When a workflow is developed, it is owned by the individual developer.  When we build complex workflow or bundles, we may need to incorporate workflows from multiple developers - suggesting a group-level access.  When development completes, the workflows are checked into the repository.  Then when deployment tool checks out the latest build and installs the workflows onto UAT or production environment, the ownership would be the production application account.  And in case of problems, we need a way to roll back.  Can Hue support this process?

Super Guru