Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Wrong runlevels of CDH packages for usage with Cloudera Manager (according to host inspector)

Expert Contributor

Hello community,

One question regarding Cloudera installation with Cloudera Manager and CDH packages (Path B) under RedHat 6.5:

After installating all the required packages with the command

sudo yum install avro-tools crunch flume-ng hadoop-hdfs-fuse hadoop-hdfs-nfs3 hadoop-httpfs hadoop-kms hbase-solr hive-hbase hive-webhcat hue-beeswax hue-hbase hue-impala hue-pig hue-plugins hue-rdbms hue-search hue-spark hue-sqoop hue-zookeeper impala impala-shell kite llama mahout oozie pig pig-udf-datafu search sentry solr-mapreduce spark-core spark-master spark-worker spark-history-server spark-python sqoop sqoop2 whirr

the host inspector is reporting problems on that hosts concerning runlevels of the services:

In essence that oozie and hadoop-httpfs have actived initialization scripts on runlevels 2-5.

x.PNG

Is this an actual problem for my cluster?

And why do the Cloudera Packages, which are only used in this context, do have incorrect runlevel configuration for the packages?

May there also be incorrect runlevels for other services?

Thanks for your support.

Best regards,

Benjamin

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Explorer

Hey Ben

What I did (on ubuntu) is to look for Hadoop services in /etc/init.d and then turn them off using rc-update.d. Can't you pipe the output of your script to grep and then chkconfig --level 2345 - off?

View solution in original post

Expert Contributor

Hey vkurien,

thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and turned them off with

for service in avro-tools crunch flume-ng hadoop-hdfs-fuse hadoop-hdfs-nfs3 hadoop-httpfs hadoop-kms hbase-solr hive-hbase hive-webhcat hue-beeswax hue-hbase hue-impala hue-pig hue-plugins hue-rdbms hue-search hue-spark hue-sqoop hue-zookeeper impala impala-shell kite llama mahout oozie pig pig-udf-datafu search sentry solr-mapreduce spark-core spark-master spark-worker spark-history-server spark-python sqoop sqoop2 whirr; do sudo chkconfig $service off; done

I'm just surprised that I did exactly follow the installation Path B and it does not work out as expected.

Can somebody please confirm that this is intended behaviour or some kind of bug?

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Expert Contributor

One addition to that: I searched for other CDH services having init scripts for certain runlevels and found:

• hadoop-hdfs-nfs3
  • spark-history-server 
  • spark-master
  • spark-worker

For all of those, init scripts for runlevels 3-5 are active.

After a reboot, some of them actually started up (although the node was not yet started from CM):

Checking runlevels and status for service: hadoop-hdfs-nfs3
Hadoop HDFS NFS v3 service is running                      [  OK  ]
hadoop-hdfs-nfs3        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Checking runlevels and status for service: spark-history-server
Spark history-server is dead and pid file exists           [FAILED]
spark-history-server    0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Checking runlevels and status for service: spark-master
Spark master is running                                    [  OK  ]
spark-master    0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Checking runlevels and status for service: spark-worker
Spark worker is dead and pid file exists                   [FAILED]
spark-worker    0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

Are you aware of these issues with packages?

btw: The output was created from the script:

#!/bin/bash

for i in hadoop-hdfs-nfs3 spark-history-server spark-master spark-worker; do
                        echo "Checking runlevels and status for service: $i"
                        service $i status
                        chkconfig --list | grep $i
                        echo ""
done

Explorer

Hey Ben

What I did (on ubuntu) is to look for Hadoop services in /etc/init.d and then turn them off using rc-update.d. Can't you pipe the output of your script to grep and then chkconfig --level 2345 - off?

Expert Contributor

Hey vkurien,

thanks for your reply. I did as you suggested and turned them off with

for service in avro-tools crunch flume-ng hadoop-hdfs-fuse hadoop-hdfs-nfs3 hadoop-httpfs hadoop-kms hbase-solr hive-hbase hive-webhcat hue-beeswax hue-hbase hue-impala hue-pig hue-plugins hue-rdbms hue-search hue-spark hue-sqoop hue-zookeeper impala impala-shell kite llama mahout oozie pig pig-udf-datafu search sentry solr-mapreduce spark-core spark-master spark-worker spark-history-server spark-python sqoop sqoop2 whirr; do sudo chkconfig $service off; done

I'm just surprised that I did exactly follow the installation Path B and it does not work out as expected.

Can somebody please confirm that this is intended behaviour or some kind of bug?

Explorer

BTW if you are installing with a base VM image even more has to be done, such as removing UUIDs

Expert Contributor

Hi vkurien, Could you please elaborate on that? Like with UUIDs, do you refer to the Cloudera Manager Agent UUID. that has to be individual per node?

Explorer

Yes, and so if you start from a "golden" VM image, make sure that the UUID is deleted from the image. I'm more paranoid so my scripts turn things off, make sure that the UUID is gone, then start the agents and finally the server.

Expert Contributor

Thanks for those insights. I recently got into trouble having the same UUID on all nodes, so I learned that the hard way 😉

Just for completness: The CM Agent UUID is stored in /var/lib/cloudera-scm-agent/uuid

Do you have additional similar hints when automating cluster deployment using CM and custom scripting?

Explorer

I'm making a foray into the API soon so I'm sure that I'll know more then.

1. Ensure /tmp has noexec off. This is an obvious security issue but sometimes one just wants a working cluster.
  2. Trying to install downlevel versions of CDH is mostly a disaster on Ubuntu since the repo lists are wrong and the installation instructions (part B) happily download the wrong repo list on the agent machines and use that. This results in mysterious failures later.
  3. Does anyone actually test the instructions - likely not!