Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

changing datanode.dir

Contributor

HDP 2.5.3

I have a cluster that has 34 datanodes, each with (11) 1.2TB disks for hdfs. I added three new nodes but these only have (9) 1.2TB disks for hdfs. The new datanodes have been added but it seems that not all the file systems are seen by hdfs

When I look at one of the older datanodes, in hdfs-site.xml for dfs.datanode.data.dir all the files systems are listed (disk1 - disk11). On the new nodes, only disk1 thru disk6 are listed even though disk7, 8 and 9 are configure and mounted as file systems.

Question. How do I get these nodes to recognize the other disks? Can I edit the hdfs-site.xml and add them to the list? If so, what are the steps?

I don't seem to be able to do this thru ambari.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I figured out what was wrong. There are 2 HDFS configuration groups on this cluster. One is set up for the datanodes. I just needed to add the new servers to that group

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Super Guru
@Jon Page

Is your Ambari able to see the disk. Basically you need to add new values for dfs.datanode.dir that point to these missing disks. Look at this screenshot. You need to add new lines for these nodes.

screen-shot-2017-05-11-at-102807-am.png

Contributor

I figured out what was wrong. There are 2 HDFS configuration groups on this cluster. One is set up for the datanodes. I just needed to add the new servers to that group