Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

error while creating hive table

Hi,

I was following the tutorial (i'm not using the sandbox) and everything was clear, until "FORMAT THE DATA WITH HIVE" I pasted the code :

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL_LOGS(
  time STRING,
  ip STRING,
  country STRING,
  status INT
)
CLUSTERED BY (time) into 25 buckets
STORED AS ORC
TBLPROPERTIES("transactional"="true")
FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|'
LOCATION '/tmp/server-logs';

and got this error :

"org.apache.hive.service.cli.HiveSQLException: Error while compiling statement: FAILED: ParseException line 10:0 missing EOF at 'FIELDS' near ')'

This seems to be a common error with hive but everything I tried doesn't help. If someone has an idea it would be very usefull ! Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9

Hi Félicien Catherin

You have missed row format delimited. Please use the below in your DDL.

ROW FORMAT DELIMITED

FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|'

It should work. I hope it helps.

Hi @Bala Vignesh N V,

Thanks for your fast answer ! I tried to add ROW format delimited but it didin't change the error

16155-chrome-2017-06-08-14-54-40.png

I also tried to change the order of the keywords (some say that "LOCATION" has to be before "TBLPROPERTIES") but it didn't change anything either

Félicien Catherin

Please use the below DDL.

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL_LOGS( time STRING, ip STRING, country STRING, status INT ) CLUSTERED BY (time) into 25 buckets STORED AS ORC ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' TBLPROPERTIES("transactional"="true")

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL_LOGS( time STRING, ip STRING, country STRING, status INT ) CLUSTERED BY (time) into 25 buckets STORED AS ORC ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' LOCATION '/tmp/server-logs' TBLPROPERTIES("transactional"="true");

Missed the location in the previous answer.

@Bala Vignesh N V Still not, I realy don't understand where this problem come from...

Félicien Catherin

Could please share the screen shot with error after executing this code.

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL_LOGS( time STRING, ip STRING, country STRING, status INT ) CLUSTERED BY (time) into 25 buckets STORED AS ORC ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' TBLPROPERTIES("transactional"="true");

@Bala Vignesh N V The error is the same as shown in my previous screenshot, here is the error stackTrace if it can help :

errorhive.txt

There are two problems here with the DDL:

1. Use of delimiter with ORC. ORC is in itself a format so you don't have to provide a delimiter.
  2. You would define an external table with a location, also ACID tables cannot be external tables, see here.

The proper definition for this table would be:

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL_LOGS(
  time STRING,
  ip STRING,
  country STRING,
  status INT
)
STORED AS ORC
TBLPROPERTIES("transactional"="true");

New Contributor

@Félicien Catherin The tutorial has typo...

you need to create normal table first using following sytax:

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL_LOGS( time STRING, ip STRING, country STRING, status INT ) 
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' 
LOCATION '/tmp/server-logs' TBLPROPERTIES("transactional"="true");

Once the above table is created you can convert it to ORC

CREATE TABLE FIREWALL AS STORED AS ORC SELECT * FROM FIREWALL_LOGS;