Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hive view NullPointerException

Super Guru

Hi,

I'm getting below error while running select query in hive view. I checked proxy settings and evrything looks fine, this is a custom hive view on secured cluster and SSL hadoop.

Can anyone suggest where to look?.

java.lang.NullPointerException

at org.apache.ambari.view.hive2.resources.jobs.JobService.getOne(JobService.java:139)

at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor561.invoke(Unknown Source)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)

at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.JavaMethodInvokerFactory$1.invoke(JavaMethodInvokerFactory.java:60)

at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider$ResponseOutInvoker._dispatch(AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider.java:205)

at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.dispatch(ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.java:75)

at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.HttpMethodRule.accept(HttpMethodRule.java:302)

at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RightHandPathRule.accept(RightHandPathRule.java:147)

at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.SubLocatorRule.accept(SubLocatorRule.java:137)

2 REPLIES 2

Super Guru

@Jitendra Yadav

Atlas in the mix? Any data tagged?

This indicates that one of the tables involved in the view join where the field is involved in the join is passing a null value when a not null is expected. I've seen this type of behavior with tagged data on base tables for the view.

Is there more in hive log? The error excerpt above is just a symptom of passing a null object when one is required, not very helpful.

To test the assumption presented above you could test whether you can query step by step the base tables with the same where clause, but without the join.

Super Guru

@Constantin Stanca

There was no error in hive/hdfs/yarn etc. during that time frame, even I tried to restart all the services but didn't helped.

But when I restarted Ambari server the issue got resolved, don't know how this exception is related to ambari restart 🙂