Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

hortonworks cloud for aws technical preview create failed

Explorer

Hi, i'm following http://hortonworks.github.io/hdp-aws/ but getting a create_failed message when trying to create stack - 'The following resource(s) failed to create: [ClusterWaitCondition]' & 'WaitCondition received failed message: 'command 'cbd start-wait' exited with status: 1 (line 130)' for uniqueId: cbd-init' - I'm using the template from the github https://s3.amazonaws.com/cbd-quickstart/cbd-advanced-1.4.0-rc.36.template - any faq or pointers I can check on this?!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Aengus Rooney and @Tamas Bihari,

I just ran into the same issue. I tried to deploy with two different unique stack names and both times I got a failure during cbdinit. For giggles I tried again but this time removed the non-alphanumeric characters ('&' and '*') from my password and it succeeded. Seems like there is an implicit character set limit on the password. Would be nice to either remove this limit [preferable] or at least make a note on the form that only alphanumeric characters are acceptable.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Please make sure you use the unique stack name. "e.g default value is HortonworksCloudController" Change it to something unique and try again.

Explorer

Thanks Milind, thought of that, the name i'm using is very unique, and still failing (i've tried a number of times).. Do you know if there are any logs I can check?

Expert Contributor

Hi @Aengus Rooney

I tried to reproduce your issue with the linked template without success. As @Michael Young mentioned you could find the Cloudbreak deployment Profile and most of the logs under '/var/lib/cloudbreak-deployment'. But we also use cloudinit on the VMs under the hood. It looks like the initialization of the deployment failed that is triggered by the cloud init. So could you please share with us the log under '/var/log/cbd-quick-start.log'?

Br,

Tamas

Super Guru

@Aengus Rooney

You can find logs for HDP AWS at /var/lib/cloudbreak-deployment/cbreak.log.

Hi @Aengus Rooney and @Tamas Bihari,

I just ran into the same issue. I tried to deploy with two different unique stack names and both times I got a failure during cbdinit. For giggles I tried again but this time removed the non-alphanumeric characters ('&' and '*') from my password and it succeeded. Seems like there is an implicit character set limit on the password. Would be nice to either remove this limit [preferable] or at least make a note on the form that only alphanumeric characters are acceptable.

Explorer

Awesome - thanks Brandon! Agree with your thoughts that special chars should be allowable, or if not, we should make a note on the form..

Guru

Hi @Aengus Rooney

Yes, there might be an issue with & or * in passwords. We've added a note into the documentation about that limitation. As well, TP #1.5 has just been posted in case you want to re-try with the latest bits.

http://hortonworks.github.io/hdp-aws/

Cheers.

Explorer

Thanks guys!