Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

"org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Failed to get schema version" error

Expert Contributor

Hi,

I am unable to start the "Hive Metastore" service through Apache Server . I keep getting the following error. The materials I found on the internet suggest that it could be due to attempt to get schema information with older metastore. But, I used Ambari to install the cluster and all the sevices, so I am sure all the metastore should have been up to date. I have also observed that the service "HiveServer2" is unstable. When I start the service, it starts and shown as green in the dashboard. But after some time, it stops automatically. I do not know the reason why. When I started writing this post, it was green. After I finished writing the post, it was red so I restarted it.

I am adding some more information. The "MySQL server" service is always in red and the status is always "install failed" . I found out through this forum that, since I had installed MySQL manually, during the first step of Ambari Installation, this service cannot be installed. Is this causing the issue?. Here is the error.

Metastore connection URL: jdbc:mysql://mycomputer.mydomain.com/hive?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true
Metastore Connection Driver : com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
Metastore connection User: hiveuser
org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Failed to get schema version.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Guru

This occurs if the database is there but somehow corrupted. He cannot read the schema version means he cannot find the table entry that contains the hive version. Can you run any query? I wouldn't think so.

How about recreate it and point to the new correct one in ambari? Guidelines below:

https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.3.4/bk_installing_manually_book/content/validat...

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Explorer

Is it host or service? If it is add service then I am unable to select hive as it is already added.

If it host then sandbox is mentioned as in red color.. Please help

6048-2016-07-25-4.png

Rising Star

Hi Team ,

How to get rid of this error . please suggest me

WARNING: Use "yarn jar" to launch YARN applications. org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaException: Error getting metastore password *** schemaTool failed ***

@Pradeep kumar @Benjamin Leonhardi

Guys I have installed Ambari cluster and Atlas service on it successfully. Now I am trying to install Hive.

I am unable to start Hive service as metadata service is not running i have attached snapshots and log here with plz guide me.

Metastore on ip-172-31-69-106.ec2.internal failed (Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/ambari-agent/cache/common-services/HIVE/0.12.0.2.0/package/alerts/alert_hive_metastore.py", line 200, in execute
    timeout_kill_strategy=TerminateStrategy.KILL_PROCESS_TREE,
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/base.py", line 155, in __init__
    self.env.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 160, in run
    self.run_action(resource, action)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/environment.py", line 124, in run_action
    provider_action()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/providers/system.py", line 262, in action_run
    tries=self.resource.tries, try_sleep=self.resource.try_sleep)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 72, in inner
    result = function(command, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 102, in checked_call
    tries=tries, try_sleep=try_sleep, timeout_kill_strategy=timeout_kill_strategy)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 150, in _call_wrapper
    result = _call(command, **kwargs_copy)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/resource_management/core/shell.py", line 303, in _call
    raise ExecutionFailed(err_msg, code, out, err)
ExecutionFailed: Execution of 'export HIVE_CONF_DIR='/usr/hdp/current/hive-metastore/conf' ; hive --hiveconf hive.metastore.uris=thrift://ip-172-31-69-106.ec2.internal:9083                 --hiveconf hive.metastore.client.connect.retry.delay=1                 --hiveconf hive.metastore.failure.retries=1                 --hiveconf hive.metastore.connect.retries=1                 --hiveconf hive.metastore.client.socket.timeout=14                 --hiveconf hive.execution.engine=mr -e 'show databases;'' returned 1. log4j:WARN No such property [maxFileSize] in org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender.

Logging initialized using configuration in file:/etc/hive/2.6.0.3-8/0/hive-log4j.properties
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:547)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:681)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:625)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:233)
 at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:148)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1565)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:92)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:138)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:110)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:3303)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:3322)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:528)
 ... 8 more
Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
 at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1563)
 ... 14 more
Caused by: MetaException(message:Could not connect to meta store using any of the URIs provided. Most recent failure: org.apache.thrift.transport.TTransportException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
 at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:226)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.open(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:486)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:281)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
 at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:423)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.MetaStoreUtils.newInstance(MetaStoreUtils.java:1563)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.<init>(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:92)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:138)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.RetryingMetaStoreClient.getProxy(RetryingMetaStoreClient.java:110)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.createMetaStoreClient(Hive.java:3303)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.Hive.getMSC(Hive.java:3322)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.session.SessionState.start(SessionState.java:528)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.run(CliDriver.java:681)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.cli.CliDriver.main(CliDriver.java:625)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
 at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
 at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
 at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
 at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.run(RunJar.java:233)
 at org.apache.hadoop.util.RunJar.main(RunJar.java:148)
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)
 at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
 at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:350)
 at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:206)
 at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:188)
 at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
 at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:589)
 at org.apache.thrift.transport.TSocket.open(TSocket.java:221)
 ... 22 more
)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.open(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:532)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.metastore.HiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(HiveMetaStoreClient.java:281)
 at org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.metadata.SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.<init>(SessionHiveMetaStoreClient.java:74)
 ... 19 more
)

14578-screen-shot-2017-04-12-at-62616-pm.png

14579-screen-shot-2017-04-12-at-62408-pm.png

Thanks,

New Contributor
root@presto-slave1:~# /usr/hdp/current/hive-server2-hive2/bin/schematool -initSchema -dbType mysql -userName hive -passWord HIDE-verbose
SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.6.3.0-235/hive2/lib/log4j-slf4j-impl-2.6.2.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/usr/hdp/2.6.3.0-235/hadoop/lib/slf4j-log4j12-1.7.10.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [org.apache.logging.slf4j.Log4jLoggerFactory]
Metastore connection URL:	 jdbc:derby:;databaseName=/var/lib/hive/metastore/metastore_db;create=true
Metastore Connection Driver :	 org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
Metastore connection User:	 hive
Starting metastore schema initialization to 2.1.2000
Initialization script hive-schema-2.1.2000.mysql.sql
Connecting to jdbc:derby:;databaseName=/var/lib/hive/metastore/metastore_db;create=true
Connected to: Apache Derby (version 10.10.2.0 - (1582446))
Driver: Apache Derby Embedded JDBC Driver (version 10.10.2.0 - (1582446))
Transaction isolation: TRANSACTION_READ_COMMITTED
0: jdbc:derby:> !autocommit on
Autocommit status: true
0: jdbc:derby:> /*!40101 SET @OLD_CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT=@@CHARACTER_SET_CLIENT */ 
Error: Syntax error: Encountered "<EOF>" at line 1, column 64. (state=42X01,code=30000)

This looks a lot like there is an actual error in the SQL.

New Contributor

I finally got Hive installed. Instead of allowing Ambari to install MySQL, I installed it manually (remember to change the my.cnf to allow remote connections) and followed the directions for using an existing instance: https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.5.1.0/bk_ambari-administration/content/using_hive...