Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

virtual box quick start vm 5.8 failing on mac osx

Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to install latest quick start VM - 5.8 on below setup but getting problems.

Base machine - Mac OSX 10.11.6

Virtualization software - Oracle VM VirtualBox 5.1.4

VM Memory - 11GB

VM File - cloudera-quickstart-vm-5.8.0-0-virtualbox

Unfortunately its not booting up and fails with below error.

init: prefdm main porcess ended

init: prefdm respawning too fast, stopped

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Howdy,

Thanks for your question. This similar post may be useful for your situation. It indicates that it's important to spin up the VM via the "import appliance" option rather than making a blank VM and pointing it to the image. 

If you haven't already, try starting the VM with the "import appliance option". Here's a nifty guide for doing it.

If that doesn't work, our community knowledge area also has a useful article outlining some common issues to consider. It also wouldn't hurt to try updating your installation of Virtualbox, as it seems to be a couple versions behind.

Let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

Cheers

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Expert Contributor

Howdy,

Thanks for your question. This similar post may be useful for your situation. It indicates that it's important to spin up the VM via the "import appliance" option rather than making a blank VM and pointing it to the image. 

If you haven't already, try starting the VM with the "import appliance option". Here's a nifty guide for doing it.

If that doesn't work, our community knowledge area also has a useful article outlining some common issues to consider. It also wouldn't hurt to try updating your installation of Virtualbox, as it seems to be a couple versions behind.

Let me know how it goes and if you need further assistance.

Cheers

Explorer

Thanks jmartin1938.

I will try this and let you know.

Explorer

Thanks jmartin1938.

Using "Import Appliance" wizard instead of setting up vm from scratch did the trick. I am able to boot vm and see something.

Expert Contributor

Awesome. Glad I was abe to help. 🙂