Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

what version of CDH am i using?

Contributor

Hi Experts,

So i am somewhat new to CDP or using cloudera's platform, and the employer i am with is currently using CDP.
So when I am asked like in an interview or something, they ask what CDH version do you use, and when i say CDH 7.2.16, the people interviewing me asks "are you sure?"
So is there a CDP version of CDH vs maybe on prem version of CDH?

Is there some difference in versioning between on prem or CDP etc?
Just curious so i can better answer this in the future and get a better understanding.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@ryu Excellent questions here.  I will address each below:

So when I am asked like in an interview or something, they ask what CDH version do you use, and when i say CDH 7.2.16, the people interviewing me asks "are you sure?"

Yes, you are sure.  Even new versions of CDP, have CDH in the artifact filenames:

7.1.4-1.cdh7.1.4.p37.14288300

So is there a CDP version of CDH vs maybe on prem version of CDH

Current versions of our platform are CDP 7.x.  Previous versions are CDH 6.x and older.
There is On Prem CDP called CDP Private Cloud Base.  There is Public Cloud CDP called CDP Public Cloud in Aws, Azure, and GCP.

This is my favorite question.   The differences between CDP on Prem and CDP in the cloud are going away quickly.   It is part of our modern data architecture for workload movement from on prem to the cloud to have the least amount of differences as possible.     As such, these 2 different form factors of CDP are getting closer and closer to parity. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@ryu Excellent questions here.  I will address each below:

Yes, you are sure.  Even new versions of CDP, have CDH in the artifact filenames:

7.1.4-1.cdh7.1.4.p37.14288300

So is there a CDP version of CDH vs maybe on prem version of CDH

Current versions of our platform are CDP 7.x.  Previous versions are CDH 6.x and older.
There is On Prem CDP called CDP Private Cloud Base.  There is Public Cloud CDP called CDP Public Cloud in Aws, Azure, and GCP.

This is my favorite question.   The differences between CDP on Prem and CDP in the cloud are going away quickly.   It is part of our modern data architecture for workload movement from on prem to the cloud to have the least amount of differences as possible.     As such, these 2 different form factors of CDP are getting closer and closer to parity. 

Community Manager

@ryu  If @steven-matison answered your question, please mark his reply as the solution, as it will make it easier for others to find the answer in the future. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 1.54.47 PM.png

Cy Jervis, Manager, Community Program
Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.