Community Articles

Find and share helpful community-sourced technical articles.
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!
Labels (1)

OpenLDAP is an open-source implementation of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol and is used for central management of accounts (users, hosts, and services) and can be used in concert with a KDC to provide authentication within the Hadoop ecosystem. Fundamentally, LDAP functions like a database in many ways and can be used to store any information.

We will assume that you have a fresh CentOS 7 host available that will host OpenLDAP. Make sure you have network connectivity between any clients and this server and that DNS resolution is working. Let's ssh to the host, and install, as root, the packages we need with yum:

yum -y install openldap compat-openldap openldap-clients openldap-servers openldap-servers-sql openldap-devel

We'll also start the LDAP daemon (called slapd) and enable it to auto-start on system boot:

systemctl start slapd.service
systemctl enable slapd.service

Next, run the slappasswd command to create an LDAP root password. Please take note of this root password, the entire hashed value that is returned as output and starts {SSHA}, as you'll use it throughout this article.

We'll now configure the OpenLDAP server in a couple of steps. We'll create LDIF text files and then use the ldapmodify command to push the configuration to the server. These will ultimately land in /etc/openldap/slapd.d but the files shouldn't be edited manually.

The first file will update the variables for olcSuffix, the domain name for which your server LDAP server provides account information, and olcRootDN, the root distinguished name (DN) user who has unrestricted administrative access. My domain is field.hortonworks.com, or dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com and my root DN is cn=ldapadm,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com.

Create the following db.ldif file using vi or your favorite editor.

dn: olcDatabase={2}hdb,cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: olcSuffix
olcSuffix: dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com

replace: olcRootDN
olcRootDN: cn=ldapadm,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com

replace: olcRootPW
olcRootPW: {SSHA}theHashedPasswordValueFromSlapPasswd

We'll then push this config:

ldapmodify -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f db.ldif

We'll next restrict monitor access to the ldapadm user:

dn: olcDatabase={1}monitor,cn=config
replace: olcAccess
olcAccess: {0}to * by dn.base="gidNumber=0+uidNumber=0,cn=peercred,cn=external, cn=auth" read by dn.base="cn=ldapadm,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com" read by * none

And push that config change:

ldapmodify -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f monitor.ldif

In order to communicate securely with the OpenLDAP server, we'll need a certificate and associated private key. These would likely be obtained from our PKI Administrator in a production environment, but a self-signed certificate and associated private key can be created in development environments, using a command like below:

openssl req -new -x509 -nodes -out /etc/openldap/certs/myldap.field.hortonworks.com.cert -keyout /etc/openldap/certs/myldap.field.hortonworks.com.key -days 365

Set the owner and group permissions to ldap:ldap for both files.

We'll then create certs.ldif to configure OpenLDAP for secure communication over LDAPS:

dn: cn=config
replace: olcTLSCertificateFile
olcTLSCertificateFile: /etc/openldap/certs/myldap.field.hortonworks.com.cert

dn: cn=config
replace: olcTLSCertificateKeyFile
olcTLSCertificateKeyFile: /etc/openldap/certs/myldap.field.hortonworks.com.key

We can then push the config file and finally test the configuration:

ldapmodify -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f certs.ldif
slaptest -u

We're now ready to set up the initial LDAP database:

First, copy the sample database configuration file to /var/lib/ldap and update the file permissions.

cp /usr/share/openldap-servers/DB_CONFIG.example /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG
chown ldap:ldap /var/lib/ldap/*

Next, add the cosine and nis LDAP schemas.

ldapadd -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.ldif
ldapadd -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f /etc/openldap/schema/nis.ldif 
ldapadd -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi:/// -f /etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.ldif

Finally, generate base.ldif file for your domain.

dn: dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com
dc: field
objectClass: top
objectClass: domain

dn: cn=ldapadm,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com
objectClass: organizationalRole
cn: ldapadm
description: LDAP Manager

dn: ou=People,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: People

dn: ou=Group,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com
objectClass: organizationalUnit
ou: Group

We'll now push these changes to OpenLDAP using the ldapadm user (sometimes referred to as the bind user):

ldapadd -x -W -D "cn=ldapadm,dc=field,dc=hortonworks,dc=com" -f base.ldif

You'll be prompted for the root password.

From here, I prefer to use a GUI to create additional users. Apache Directory Studio is a nice multi-platform tool and can be downloaded here.

Within Apache Directory Studio, you can create a new connection in the lower left-hand pane and use the following configuration:

11753-screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-13053-pm.png

With the following authentication information:

11754-screen-shot-2017-01-25-at-13034-pm.png

Once you connect successfully you can create your organizational structure and users accordingly.

These steps are based on the valuable tutorial provided here.

Comments
New Contributor

Hello, I want to thank you for this very good tutotiel, I encounter a problem at the end, I can not connect with Apache DS. That put me "connection refused", I checked and I think it is a port problem. Port 389 is not open on my hortonworks exit interface. Have you had this problem? If yes, how did you resolve it? thank you in advance

Contributor

Hi,

Its very informative and helpful.

I guess you just missed to add "ldaps:///" in SLAPD_URLS configuration in file "/etc/sysconfig/slapd".

Master Collaborator

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 7.18.12 PM.pngI was having this error and Iliterally spent days scouring the Web for an answer. It turned out in my case that the order matters. The correct order was:

1. olcTLSCACertificateFile,
  2. olcTLSCertificateKeyFile,
  3. olcTLSCertificateFile.