Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ambari metrics using 100% cpu

Contributor

I have a HDP 2.3.0 cluster with 4 nodes. I noticed this process was consuming 100% cpu on my NameNode:

ams       5386  223  5.0 3596120 1666616 ?     Sl   13:50  46:56 /usr/jdk64/jdk1.8.0_40/bin/java -Dproc_master -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=kill -9 %p -Xmx1536m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/ambari-metrics-collector/hs_err_pid%p.log -Djava.io.tmpdir=/opt/var/lib/ambari-metrics-collector/hbase-tmp -Djava.library.path=/usr/lib/ams-hbase/lib/hadoop-native/ -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xloggc:/var/log/ambari-metrics-collector/gc.log-201512161350 -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xmn256m -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -Dhbase.log.dir=/var/log/ambari-metrics-collector -Dhbase.log.file=hbase-ams-master-NPAA1809.petrobras.biz.log -Dhbase.home.dir=/usr/lib/ams-hbase/bin/.. -Dhbase.id.str=ams -Dhbase.root.logger=INFO,RFA -Dhbase.security.logger=INFO,RFAS org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster start

But my cluster does not have Hbase installed. Then I simply killed this process, but Ambari metrics went down together. After I restarted Ambari metrics, this process continues trying to executing and always consuming a lot of CPU. Here is a print of Ambari Metrics durint time of my actions.

882-ambari.png

How can I configure AMS to stop trying to monitor HBase?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Super Collaborator

What is the AMS operation mode ("Metrics Service operation mode" config) ?

Please share all the memory configs of AMS along with the memory in the node. The following configs will be useful.

In ams-env - metrics_collector_heapsize

In ams-hbase-env - hbase_regionserver_heapsize,hbase_master_maxperm_size, hbase_master_xmn_size, hbase_regionserver_heapsize, regionserver_xmn_size

and the output of "free -m"

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

You in fact do have one hbase installed, the one internal to ambari metrics, and it needs to stay running. I think you may have an issue I have seen before, can you add this to your ambari.properties file:

server.timeline.metrics.cache.disabled = true

and then restart ambari, let me know if this helps.

Contributor

I added this line to ambari.properties and restarted ambari-server, but the 100% cpu behavior stands. Se the screenshot in comment below.

@Vitor BatistaIn terms of CPU consumption, how many CPUs are there on this machine? There are many components on this same machine as shown in attached snapshot (12 service components) which would be reason for 100% CPU consumption. I would be really surprised if AMS itself consumes all CPUs as you have mentioned. You can validate the same theory by moving AMS collector to some other node with lesser number of service components.

On issue of HBase, while you have not installed HBase on the cluster, Ambari Metrics Service internally installs single node HBase cluster on the machine where AMS Collector is installed. And if you kill this Hbase process, AMS service would fail as well as you witnessed. Hope this helps!!

Contributor

Indeed. I found this "internal HBase" version.

Each node of cluster has 32 GB of RAM and 4 vCores. All of them are virtualized on top of very good hardware.

@Vitor Batista

Cool. You don't have enough resources for so many services to efficiently run on such a small VM. I had another customer facing similar issue in past. Please accept this answer so that we can close this. As a best practice, always accept the answer once that answer is acceptable and resolves the issue.

Contributor

You did not answered my question completly. I'm the only user on cluster. There's no reason for 100% cpu.

please check cpu core usage from shell on the machine to validate what Ambari is representing. You can use top command for the same.

@Vitor Batista

Ambari Metrics monitor all services / hosts and it consumes resources to run. For small test environments you can stop Ambari Metrics with few cpu, you can stop ambari metrics, it wont affect other components. Our Sandbox, for example, does not have Ambari Metrics started by default.

Contributor

Since we have 4 vCores, the %CPU sum up to 400.

885-hbase.png