Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Datanode Heapsize Computation

Rising Star

Hi Team,

I am using HDP 2.4.2 and I have 39 Datanodes in a cluster. Initially, there was 1GB heapsize of DN by default. Then it started to send warning alerts from every datanode even though there was no ingestion/job running. So, I increased the DN heapsize to 2GB but still it is sending me alerts consuming 60-70% heapsize and sometimes 80-90% even though cluster is idle. Is there any calculation/formula how much heapsize should I provide in Datanodes?? Please help.

Thanks,

Rahul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login
3 REPLIES 3

hide-solution

This problem has been solved!

Want to get a detailed solution you have to login/registered on the community

Register/Login

Rising Star

@jss

Thanks a lot. That solved my issue and I am not getting DN heapsize alerts anymore.

Expert Contributor

@jss @Rahul Buragohain

I have the same issue with my HDP 2.4.2... where exactly do i change these parameters??

I see them in hadoop-env template with:

SHARED_HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS="-server -XX:ParallelGCThreads=8 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ErrorFile={{hdfs_log_dir_prefix}}/$USER/hs_err_pid%p.log -XX:NewSize={{namenode_opt_newsize}} -XX:MaxNewSize={{namenode_opt_maxnewsize}} -Xloggc:{{hdfs_log_dir_prefix}}/$USER/gc.log-`date +'%Y%m%d%H%M'` -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=70 -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -Xms{{namenode_heapsize}} -Xmx{{namenode_heapsize}} -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,DRFAS -Dhdfs.audit.logger=INFO,DRFAAUDIT" export HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS="${SHARED_HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS} -XX:OnOutOfMemoryError=\"/usr/hdp/current/hadoop-hdfs-namenode/bin/kill-name-node\" -Dorg.mortbay.jetty.Request.maxFormContentSize=-1 ${HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS}" export HADOOP_DATANODE_OPTS="-server -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:ErrorFile=/var/log/hadoop/$USER/hs_err_pid%p.log -XX:NewSize=200m -XX:MaxNewSize=200m -Xloggc:/var/log/hadoop/$USER/gc.log-`date +'%Y%m%d%H%M'` -verbose:gc -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintGCDateStamps -Xms{{dtnode_heapsize}} -Xmx{{dtnode_heapsize}} -Dhadoop.security.logger=INFO,DRFAS -Dhdfs.audit.logger=INFO,DRFAAUDIT ${HADOOP_DATANODE_OPTS}"

If this is the file, should i just add the mentioned parameters in the HADOOP_DATANODE_OPTS ??

and do i need to restart the hdfs service?

Thanks.