Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Describe Database Extended not displaying additional information

Explorer

"describe database" and "describe extended database" --> displaying same information

hive > create database if not exists practice comment "This database was created for practice purpose" location '/home/abc/Sample' with dbproperties('Date'='2018-07-15','createdby'='Developer','Email'='developer@dev.com');

OK

Time taken: 0.018 seconds

hive> describe database practice;

OK

practice hdfs://abcdhdfs/apps/hive/warehouse/practice.db abc USER Time taken: 0.122 seconds, Fetched: 1 row(s)

hive> describe database extended practice;

OK

practice hdfs://abcdhdfs/apps/hive/warehouse/practice.db abc USER Time taken: 0.123 seconds, Fetched: 1 row(s)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @Bal P!
Hm, that's kinda strange.
One thing made me curious, you have tried to create the database pointing to /home/abc/Sample and the DB got another path..
hdfs://abcdhdfs/apps/hive/warehouse/practice.db. Did you try to drop the database and recreate it again?
Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hello @Bal P!
Hm, that's kinda strange.
One thing made me curious, you have tried to create the database pointing to /home/abc/Sample and the DB got another path..
hdfs://abcdhdfs/apps/hive/warehouse/practice.db. Did you try to drop the database and recreate it again?
Hope this helps!

Master Mentor

@Bal P

I tried replicating your error on my kerberized cluster, the only difference I used a HDFS path for user hive /user/hive other than a local FS in your case '/home/abc/Sample' and the database was created

hive> create database if not exists practice comment "This database was created for practice purpose" location '/home/hive/test' with dbproperties('Date'='2018-07-15','created by'='Developer','Email'='developer@dev.com');

Output of created database

$ hdfs dfs -ls /user/hive
Found 3 items
drwx------   - hive hdfs          0 2018-07-14 20:00 /user/hive/.Trash
drwxr-xr-x   - hive hdfs          0 2018-07-12 16:37 /user/hive/.hiveJars
drwxr-xr-x   - hive hdfs          0 2018-07-15 10:25 /user/hive/test

And when I run the describe all looked perfect !!!!

Hive works on top of the hadoop meaning it uses the hdfs for storage,by default it stores all databases in /apps/hive/warehouse/* unless in the table creation one uses the clause external keyword to point to an alternative path.

Can you confirm that you have this path in hdfs ?

/abcdhdfs/apps/hive/warehouse

HTH