Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Error while executing DUMP command in PIG in AWS HDPCD exam

New Contributor

I started Pig with pig -x local and loaded the hdfs file ina relation. When I executed DUMP command, it threw the below error:

ERROR 1066: Unable to open iterator for alias events. Backend error : java.lang.IllegalStateException: Job in state DEFINE instead of RUNNING

org.apache.pig.impl.logicalLayer.FrontendException: ERROR 1066: Unable to open iterator for alias events. Backend error : java.lang.IllegalStateException: Job in state DEFINE instead of RUNNING
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rising Star
@Krishna Shah

Can you paste the whole log? Hard to tell from this excerpt. There might be an earlier error causing this. As well, why are you running this in local mode? Did you try restarting the grunt shell ? I also hit some weird errors which cleared after restarting the shell which was in an inconsistent state.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rising Star
@Krishna Shah

Can you paste the whole log? Hard to tell from this excerpt. There might be an earlier error causing this. As well, why are you running this in local mode? Did you try restarting the grunt shell ? I also hit some weird errors which cleared after restarting the shell which was in an inconsistent state.

New Contributor

Thankyou for your response. I figured my AWS services were not starting properly and hence it was giving this error. Solved my issue. Also Thanks, I needed to run Pig instead of pig -x local.

Rising Star

@Krishna Shah

Thanks for the update. Glad it helped. Can you please accept the answer ?