Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDFS is almost full 90% but data node disks are around 50%

87531-capture.png

hi all

we have ambari cluster version 2.6.1 & HDP version 2.6.4

from the dashboard we can see that HDFS DISK Usage is almost 90%

but all data-node disk are around 90%

so why HDFS show 90% , while datanode disk are only 50%

/dev/sdc                   20G   11G  8.7G  56% /data/sdc
/dev/sde                   20G   11G  8.7G  56% /data/sde
/dev/sdd                   20G   11G  9.0G  55% /data/sdd
/dev/sdb                   20G  8.9G   11G  46% /data/sdb

is it problem of fine-tune ? or else

we also performed re-balance from the ambari GUI but this isn't help

Michael-Bronson
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Michael Bronson

As the NameNode Report and UI (including ambari UI) shows that your DFS used is reaching almsot 87% to 90% hence it will be really good if you can increase the DFS capacity.

In order to understand in detail about the Non DFS Used = Configured Capacity - DFS Remaining - DFS Used

YOu can refer to the following article which aims at explaining the concepts of Configured Capacity, Present Capacity, DFS Used,DFS Remaining, Non DFS Used, in HDFS. The diagram below clearly explains these output space parameters assuming HDFS as a single disk.

https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/98936/details-of-the-output-hdfs-dfsadmin-report.html

88475-hdfs-diagram.jpg

The above is one of the best article to understand the DFS and Non-DFS calculations and remedy.

You add capacity by giving dfs.datanode.data.dir more mount points or directories. In Ambari that section of configs is I believe to the right depending the version of Ambari or in advanced section, the property is in hdfs-site.xml. the more new disk you provide through comma separated list the more capacity you will have. Preferably every machine should have same disk and mount point structure.

View solution in original post

53 REPLIES 53

@jay , yes I agree , but how it can be the datanode disk are with capacity of 50% and HDFS show 88% ? , and why we not used all the size of datanode disks ? , I am really not understant that

Michael-Bronson

hi

per your request , this is the file

<name>dfs.datanode.data.dir</name>
      <value>/data/sdb/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sdc/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sdd/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sde/hadoop/hdfs/data</value>
--
      <name>dfs.datanode.data.dir.perm</name>
      <value>750</value>
Michael-Bronson

Expert Contributor
@Michael Bronson

Looks good to me. Just do one more check, what was the config that getting loaded into NN in-memory?

http://<active nn host>:50070/conf

and find it "dfs.datanode.data.dir".

You must share us the logs. No point in going with assumptions. 🙂

this is the relevant info from the file ( long file , but I think you want to look on the relevant disks )

<value>
/data/sdb/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sdc/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sdd/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sde/hadoop/hdfs/data
</value>
<source>hdfs-site.xml</source>
</property>

<value>
/data/sdb/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sdc/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sdd/hadoop/hdfs/data,/data/sde/hadoop/hdfs/data
</value>
<source>hdfs-site.xml</source>
</property>
Michael-Bronson

about the logs , please remind me what the logs that you want to look for ?

Michael-Bronson

Expert Contributor

Thanks for the confirmation. I need namenode and datanode log after HDFS service restart.

because the logs are huge , do you want to search specific sting in the logs ?

Michael-Bronson

Expert Contributor

You can do tail in namenode and datanode log, also you can redirect output to dummy log file during restart.

#tailf <namenode log> >/tmp/namenode-`hostname`.log

#tailf <datanode log> >/tmp/datanode-`hostname`.log

Explorer

HDFS originally splits and stores the data in blocks. Each block is 64MB or 128MB by default based on your HDFS version. Consider a file which is of size (2MB) is stored in a block. The remaining 62MB (considering the default size to be 64MB) is not used by HDFS. Which means here the HDFS used space is 64MB but the actual hard disk used space is 2MB.

Hope this is relevant to what you are asking.

@Rabbit , so in our case based on that 88% is HDFS uses , the only one option to be with more HDFS space is to add adisk in each datanode ? am I right ?

Michael-Bronson