Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

HDP Developer Practice Exam - Task 01

Contributor

#2 of TASK 01 states that you should put the 3 files from the /home/horton/datasets/flightdelays directory into HDFS. However, the flightdelays directory contains 5 files. I feel that this is a bit ambiguous but assume that it is referring to the 3 with a similar name. Furthermore, when checking the solutions.txt file I can see that the correct command is set to copy all .csv files in the folder to HDFS.

How will Tasks such as this one be graded (by command/s used, presence of the correct files in HDFS, etc.)? Would I not receive a PASS for this Task if I moved all 5 files instead of just the 3 with a similar naming convention?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Guru

That is correct. We are not interested in "how" you do something - only that you can accomplish it. For example, you may be asked to write a Pig script that satisfies a set of criteria. We don't care what your code looks like, as long you use Pig and the output satisfies all the given criteria.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Master Mentor

Guru

That sounds like a typo on the practice exam - thanks for pointing it out.

The key factor in grading exams is the result (after verifying that you completed each task using the specified framework). In each task on the exam, you will be asked to write some type of code or script and execute it. Each task is worth 1 point and it is either correct or wrong. There is no partial credit. You must execute your code and it must generate the desired output in the desired location in order for a task to be marked as correct.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Rich Raposa

Certification Manager

Contributor

@rich Thanks Rich. Based on your response, I believe then that for a task to be marked as correct, you would only be considering a combination of:

• output

and that there could be multiple ways of writing the code or script. For example, for the task questioned above, someone could write a single put command to copy all .csv files in the folder, OR they could execute separate put commands for every file, OR they could use copyFromLocal.

Would that be correct?

Guru

You are correct - the output, location, and framework are the grading criteria. We don't care "how" you get the answer as long as you get the correct answer using the correct framework.

In practice exam they wanted us to store the result of a pig script in a particular location. For the first run it is works fine but throws a error in second run.(The evaluator who will be running our code will get an error). Did such issues taken care during actual exam.

Guru

@Anshu Kumar - this is good question but it's buried in your current one. Can you ask this in a new, separate question on the forum? (Put "HDPCD" in the subject and I will get notified immediately of your question).

@Rich Raposa - Raised a new quest with subject "HDPCD Horton certification. #pig task"

Guru

That is correct. We are not interested in "how" you do something - only that you can accomplish it. For example, you may be asked to write a Pig script that satisfies a set of criteria. We don't care what your code looks like, as long you use Pig and the output satisfies all the given criteria.

Contributor

@rich Thanks Rich. This clarifies a lot and removes some of the stress from the exam preparation. 🙂