Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

How to change Owner of Zeppelin Notebook?

Contributor

Hello All,

We have synced AD users in Zeppelin using shiro.ini file. User is able to login using entire domain name eg: 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com'

All notebook have owners set to 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com'

Now, we have synced AD users in Zeppelin using SaMAcoountName. Hence User is able to login using SaMAcoountName only eg: 'bhushan-kandalkar'

But problem is user 'bhushan-kandalkar' is not able to view notebooks created by 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com' though its an same user.

How should I change owners of all notebooks from 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com' to 'bhushan-kandalkar'?

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Bhushan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Bhushan Kandalkar

To recover and and change notebook permissions manually you should do the following:

1. Login to zeppelin server host and switch to zeppelin user. If kerberized, kinit as zeppelin principal using zeppelin keytab

2. Make a backup of the following hdfs file

hdfs dfs -cp /user/zeppelin/conf/notebook-authorization.json /user/zeppelin/conf/notebook-authorization.json.orig

3. Get the file from hdfs to local file system

hdfs dfs -get /user/zeppelin/conf/notebook-authorization.json /tmp/notebook-authorization.json

4. Edit the file and replate all occurences of the username

sed -i -e 's/bhushan-kandalkar@test.com/bhushan-kandalkar/g' /tmp/notebook-authorization.json

5. Upload the file to hdfs

hdfs dfs -put -f /tmp/notebook-authorization.json /user/zeppelin/conf/

6. Restart zeppelin server using ambari

Let me know if that works for you.

HTH

*** If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login and click the "accept" link on the answer.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

@Bhushan Kandalkar

To recover and and change notebook permissions manually you should do the following:

1. Login to zeppelin server host and switch to zeppelin user. If kerberized, kinit as zeppelin principal using zeppelin keytab

2. Make a backup of the following hdfs file

hdfs dfs -cp /user/zeppelin/conf/notebook-authorization.json /user/zeppelin/conf/notebook-authorization.json.orig

3. Get the file from hdfs to local file system

hdfs dfs -get /user/zeppelin/conf/notebook-authorization.json /tmp/notebook-authorization.json

4. Edit the file and replate all occurences of the username

sed -i -e 's/bhushan-kandalkar@test.com/bhushan-kandalkar/g' /tmp/notebook-authorization.json

5. Upload the file to hdfs

hdfs dfs -put -f /tmp/notebook-authorization.json /user/zeppelin/conf/

6. Restart zeppelin server using ambari

Let me know if that works for you.

HTH

*** If you found this answer addressed your question, please take a moment to login and click the "accept" link on the answer.

Contributor

Thanks @Felix Albani

I already did that. But note permission for every notebook is still showing 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com' as owner, reader and writer.

Also, when I tried to change owner name to 'bhushan-kandalkar' its giving permission denied error.

Please suggest.

@Bhushan Kandalkar

Could you be more precise as to what step of the ones I provided above is giving you the permission denied error?

Thanks!

Contributor

@Felix Albani @Vipin Rathor

I performed all these steps. I can see that user 'bhushan-kandalkar' is able to view notebooks created by 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com' user. That's good news.

But in Zeppelin Notebook UI, I am still getting 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com' user. Attached screenshot notebook-permission.png. I am not getting ''bhushan-kandalkar' user.

Also, when I share notebook to other user, that notebook is removed from the user who has shared that notebook. That should not happen.

Please suggest.

Guru

@Bhushan Kandalkar,

Can you login to Zeppelin as 'bhushan-kandalkar' instead of 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com'? You may need to set "activeDirectoryRealm.principalSuffix = @test.com" if you are using "org.apache.zeppelin.realm.ActiveDirectoryGroupRealm".

With this set, you should be able to login as 'bhushan-kandalkar' and same would appear in notebook permission.

Hope this helps.

Guru

@Bhushan Kandalkar,

Please let us know the value of "zeppelin.notebook.storage" property in Zeppelin. If you can attach your zeppelin-site.xml from Zeppelin node ("after scrubbing your env. specific details"), that will be even better.

What Felix is suggesting here, may actually work if done correctly.

Contributor

@Vipin Rathor

I am logging in using bhushan-kandalkar user but in Zeppelin Notebook UI, I am still getting 'bhushan-kandalkar@test.com' user for every notebook permission.