Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Ingesting dump db (.sql) into hdfs

New Contributor

Hi All,

I need to ingest data from database dump (.sql) file. May I know, the best method how to load the data into hive table? Below are some info the file we need to ingest. 

<database name>_<table name>_yyyymmdd.sql

• <database name> is the name of the database exported.
  • yyyymmdd’ is the date the file was created.

Regards,

Khairul

3 REPLIES 3

Community Manager

@keroz, Welcome to our community! To help you get the best possible answer, I have tagged our experts @RangaReddy @mszurap @Gopinath who may be able to assist you further.

Please feel free to provide any additional information or details about your query, and we hope that you will find a satisfactory solution to your question.

Regards,

Vidya Sargur,
Community Manager

Was your question answered? Make sure to mark the answer as the accepted solution.
If you find a reply useful, say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up button.
Learn more about the Cloudera Community:

Super Collaborator

In general, a dump.sql file from an RDBMS can be read using the respective RDBMS command line utility. For instance, the mysql dump.sql file can be read using the mysql utility. To read MySQL data from Hive, you have two options: you can either utilize the HIVE JDBC Handler or import the RDBMS data into Hive tables using Sqoop.

Ref - 
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/JDBC+Storage+Handler
https://docs.cloudera.com/cdp-private-cloud-base/7.1.8/migrating-data-into-hive/topics/hive_moving_d...

JdbcStorageHandler reads the data from the JDBC data source 
Sqoop import command that imports data from diverse data source. 

New Contributor

Hi ggangadharan,

Thanks for you feedback. Maybe I need to explain more detail on my case above. Both solution you give more to sqoop/import the data using the JDBC. My current situation, the source system not give the permission to access their db. They will export the file and save as .sql file. I need to download the file and load into hive table.