Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Installing Mahout with apt-get, now how do I run the examples?

Explorer

Hi, according to the Cloudera blog, Mahout is now part of CDH. But in the docs it just says to 'sudo apt-get install mahout' with no mention of versions or dependencies.

So I did that, but now I can't even test it because unlike for the tarball install, the examples included have no docs.  You can't use the Mahout docs because those assume a tarball install that gives you things that this package does not.  Is that true? How do you run the examples?  Under /usr/lib/mahout/ there is a mahout-examples-0.7-cdh4.0.jar file, but it has no scripts and there are no docs for it.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Hi!

Thanks for posting. The docs of mahout are bundled in a separate package (to reduce the cruft for people who don't care about downloaded docs). For that you can install the mahout-doc package using 'sudo apt-get install mahout-doc'.

The contents should go under /usr/share/doc/mahout* and you should be able to pick it up from there.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

And, good luck!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

Hi!

Thanks for posting. The docs of mahout are bundled in a separate package (to reduce the cruft for people who don't care about downloaded docs). For that you can install the mahout-doc package using 'sudo apt-get install mahout-doc'.

The contents should go under /usr/share/doc/mahout* and you should be able to pick it up from there.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

And, good luck!

Explorer

Great, that works, thanks! BTW you might consider getting someone there to change docs like this page to reflect that: http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/CDH4/4.3.0/CDH4-Installation-Guide/cd...

Expert Contributor

Thanks, will do!