Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Sqoop Import, Why do I need create view access to use multiple mappers?,Scoop Multiple Mappers, Why do I need CREATE VIEW access?

New Contributor

I don't have Create View Access, which isn't a problem unless using multiple mappers. I wanted to know exactly what's going on that requires creating views.

I'm trying to use some additional mappers for a sqoop import. From the TD side, my user doesn't have CREATE VIEW access. I wanted to know what exactly is going on that would require creating views?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

I assume the TD you referring is Teradata. According to the TDCH tutorial, "When the source table is not partitioned, the Teradata split.by.partition source plugin creates a temporary partitioned staging table and executes an INSERT-SELECT to move data from the source table into the stage table.". So, if you want to create multiple mappers, means you need to split the table into partitioned staging table, and thus "to enable the creation of staging table, the split.by.partition plugin requires that the associated Teradata user has ‘create table’ and ‘create view’ privileges as well as free perm space equivalent to the size of the source table available."

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Expert Contributor

I assume the TD you referring is Teradata. According to the TDCH tutorial, "When the source table is not partitioned, the Teradata split.by.partition source plugin creates a temporary partitioned staging table and executes an INSERT-SELECT to move data from the source table into the stage table.". So, if you want to create multiple mappers, means you need to split the table into partitioned staging table, and thus "to enable the creation of staging table, the split.by.partition plugin requires that the associated Teradata user has ‘create table’ and ‘create view’ privileges as well as free perm space equivalent to the size of the source table available."

Expert Contributor
@Andrew A

Cloudera Connector for Teradata 1.1.1 do not support imports from views as is documented inlimitations section of the user guide.

The connector will try to create temporary tables in order to provide all or nothing semantics, which I'm expecting is the reason for the exception. If you do not have such privileges on the main database, you can instruct the connector to create the staging tables in any other database where you have enough privileges

Please use this link has enough explanation.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16855710/sqoop-teradata-connector-issue-error-the-user-does-not-h...

Please look into last answer in the link which has enough explanation.

New Contributor

Thanks! I'm going to use TPT instead. Too bad, this would have been simpler.