Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

TailFile cannot find directory/file which exists

Expert Contributor

I am getting an error with my TailFile processor saying that it cannot ingest cause the directory doesn't exist (and it does, believe me.)

Interestingly enough, I have in /testData/versions called dzl.log which it finds and doesnt throw an error. So its going into /testData/versions and finding dzl.log and saying "Ok, that file exists" but then its telling me that the directory /testData/versions does not exist.

Anybody have any idea what Im missing here?

Permissions for /testData = 777, root root

Permissions for /testData/versions = 777, root root

I have tried changing the group and owner to nifi/nifi and still get the same problem (besides I have another production directory that is 755, root/root that is ingesting fine)

For some reason Nifi refuses to acknowledge this folder. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Expert Contributor

Nevermind, I figured it out.
We have two hosts m1 and m3. m3 is currently our primary controller.

The dummy directory I created on m1 instead of m3.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Super Mentor

@Eric Lloyd

My first thought would be inclusion of a leading or trailing whitespace in your processor configuration.

"/testData/versions " is not treated the same as "/testData/versions".

Can you provide a screenshot of your processor configuration and the stack trace for this error from the nifi-app.log?

Thanks,

Matt

Expert Contributor

I actually don't see the stack trace for this error in nifi-app.log. I do have debugging on the TailFile processor. I searched by ID. I suspect its because the processor never actually runs. This error appears before I hit play on it and does not appear even if I press play on it. It has the yellow exclamation point before it is run so I assume nifi has functionality that goes and searches for a folder once you hit ACCEPT on the processors configuration.

I did not see any whitespace in my processor config. Here are some screenshots.

62454-screen-shot-2018-02-20-at-111710-am.png

62453-screen-shot-2018-02-20-at-111701-am.png

Expert Contributor

Also here is the error from the interface

62455-screen-shot-2018-02-20-at-112534-am.png

Expert Contributor

Nevermind, I figured it out.
We have two hosts m1 and m3. m3 is currently our primary controller.

The dummy directory I created on m1 instead of m3.

Expert Contributor

I stand corrected. It seems if you are doing Tailfile in a cluster, the directories and files must exist on all hosts.