Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Unable to start HDP_Sandbox on VM

I have downloaded and imported HDP_Docker_Sandbox on VM, but soon after starting it, it got stuck at "Started cleanup of temporary directories". However, there are no errors coming, but the loading is not progressing. The Ambari view at port 8080 is running but ssh at port 4200 is not available. I have attached screenshots for quick references.

Please help.

sandbox-boot-stuck.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Master Mentor

@Akshay Gupta

The following message is normal.

"Started cleanup of temporary directories"

When this message appears ... before that the ssh port would have already been opened so you can do SSH to the Sandbox as following (Note the port is 2222)

# ssh root@127.0.0.1  -p 2222

Once you are able to login to sandbox using ssh and then check if the following service is running or not? That is responsible for opening the port 4200

# service shellinaboxd start
# systemctl enable shellinaboxd.service
# netstat -nap | grep shellinabox

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Explorer

i dont think the message is anything harmful or to be worried about. what happens when to ssh on port 2222? port 4200 is for the ssh web client as far as i know.

Yes the port 2222 is working, and i am able to start ssh web client on 4200.

also is there anything I can do to fully start my sandbox, as it is stuck at that particular message .

Master Mentor

@Akshay Gupta

What i see is... sometimes me too get the message and sandbox seems to be stuck there, But actually all it's functionality works well because most of its services like ssh and other are started till that point.

So you can continue to work with Ambari and other services .. even if the sandbox seems to be stuck. Sometimes it happens due to lack of resources (like RAM). So i keep the unwanted services in Maintenance Mode (stopped + Maintenance Mode) .

If all it's functionality works well till that point, then its great and not a problem.

I have allocated 10gb of RAM (out of 16) to the VM, the problem might not be related to memory. Anyways, thanks again 🙂

Master Mentor

@Akshay Gupta

The following message is normal.

When this message appears ... before that the ssh port would have already been opened so you can do SSH to the Sandbox as following (Note the port is 2222)

# ssh root@127.0.0.1  -p 2222

Once you are able to login to sandbox using ssh and then check if the following service is running or not? That is responsible for opening the port 4200

# service shellinaboxd start
# systemctl enable shellinaboxd.service
# netstat -nap | grep shellinabox

Thankyou @Jay SenSharma, i am now able to start ssh web client by following the steps mentioned.

Just wanted to know why the screen is stuck to that message, am I doing anything wrong ?

Explorer

I am also facing the same issue with my HDP VM Sandbox. It says "Started cleanup of temporary directories" for more than 2 hours and then the Login details appear. Testing patience.

I have allocated 12 GBs of RAM and host OS is Windows 10.

The HDP VM Sandbox is 2.6.4.

Can Hortonworks please help with Root Cause and Solution for it.

Any clues from Log Files ??

BJ