Support Questions

Find answers, ask questions, and share your expertise
Announcements
Celebrating as our community reaches 100,000 members! Thank you!

Upgrade HDF 3.1.1.0 to HDF 3.1.2 Rolling Upgrade fail

Contributor

Hi All,

I try run rolling upgrade with subject versions.

And it fails with the very strange message. I added the image with current state

86403-2018-08-08-22-23-41.png

and in ambari-server.log I see this lines:

WARN [Server Action Executor Worker 2015] ServerActionExecutor:471 - Task #2015 failed to complete execution due to thrown exception: java.lang.NullPointerException:null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.ambari.server.serveraction.upgrades.ConfigureAction.execute(ConfigureAction.java:200)
        at org.apache.ambari.server.serveraction.ServerActionExecutor$Worker.execute(ServerActionExecutor.java:550)
        at org.apache.ambari.server.serveraction.ServerActionExecutor$Worker.run(ServerActionExecutor.java:466)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

Please help.

Thanks,

Ilya

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

In the end, I created the new cluster with HDF 3.2.0.

With NiFi Registry made it very fast.

Thanks to all which tried to help.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

@Ilya Li

Are you using Ambari 2.6.2 version?

For some reason your source repository is coming as null - you can refer at https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/release-2.6.2-rc0/ambari-server/src/main/java/org/apache/ambar...

I would recommend you to downgrade and then attempt the upgrade again as upgrade is just started (3% completed)

Contributor

My Ambari 2.6.2.2. I tried to downgrade and start an upgrade again. Same issue all the time.

I had before this issue:https://community.hortonworks.com/questions/211829/upgrade-hdf-310-to-hdf-312.html . And maid manual changes in DB (only stack_id update) Maybe I need change more things?

Thanks

Contributor

May be I need use ambari-server set-current cli command and not update in database?

@Ilya Li looks like you have null reference in upgrade_history table.

Can you review the entries from below query and see if from_repo_version_id, target_repo_version_id are NULL.

select * from upgrade_history; //Look for zookeeper entry and correct that to valid repo version id.

After correcting that you would need to restart ambari server before attempting the upgrade again.

Contributor

In this table, all values were set correctly. No nulls.

Maybe this table work as log?

@Ilya Li

code is reading from that table - check whether it has valid/correct "from_repo_version_id" and "target_repo_version_id"

Contributor

Very strange issue. When I downgrade in cluster table I see desired_stack_id=51, but need to be 102.

How ambari decide to which stack to downgrade? in update history all good

Hi @Ilya Li ,

Looks like thats the issue.

can you make it 102 and try again ?

Hope this helps.

Contributor

After each downgrade I changed it to 102. but this is not help.